Primers

Montey

I had a bad experience on my last competition when I had three hang fires from my 300wsm I put this down to some primers Ide left in the tray of my  hand priming tool in my shed I use as my reloading room ( the shed houses the oil boiler for the house and I keep a  dehumidifier running 24/7) just laziness on my part lesson learnt!

im working up a new load for the 300wsm using RS70 and noticed last night that some primers have white flecks these I have separated out the primers are Gold Match. Has any one else seen this with Gold Match primers or has a comment to make? The only other thing for me to do is load a couple with the most   affected primers and see if they hang fire or effect  velocity.

You did not say how long these primers had sat in the tray before you loaded them. Generally,  primers are pretty forgiving with modest amounts of air moisture. I use both small and large Fed Gold Match and over the years have never had this issue but then my primers are indoors albeit a dampish cottage.

Granny sucking eggs but I assume you compared the indent of the hang fire rounds with the ignited ones?

They sat in the tray for approximately 2 weeks but now I've found this inconsistency after inspection I'm doubting its those primers that coursed the problem though dampness ( despite there being a constant heat in the shed aswell a dehumidifier)

fair question regarding stike of the foreign pin but yes I compared after the detail and  found no difrance 

ive got another thousand Gold Match so I will inspect them As well as testing the most pronounced primers.

Archived