Lamping weather.

Jay Foxing

Hi all,

After looking at PaulB's post in the useful information section of this site on the weather, well it got me thinking (doesn't happen often, it hurts).

What do you guys think is the best weather for lamping foxes and rabbits. Personally i hate the full moon for foxing but having said this i know some shooting friends that have great success foxing on a moon lit night. And when the wind is howling again for me foxes are very skittish when it come to being coxed in to the call, wanting to keep their distance.

But for rabbits i think the general consensus is that the darkest windy nights are best.

Any thoughts on this and to reasons why.

Thanks,

Jay.

Hi Jay, Interesting question, Over the years I have kept a journal and I have on many occasion looked back over it to see if i can work out when if any would be the best time and weather conditions to go out foxing or rabbiting. To be honest I have had as good a night when it has been raining ( I don't mean heavy rain) as I have on clear nights, I have noticed it's harder rabbiting if we have had nice warm days and the temperature has dropped as it gets dark. As for foxes I have shot as many on a full moon as I have in the darkest of nights. The hardest time around here is from about the end of Dec, to March time as they are breading and nothing will get there interest. I have heard also that some people say that you shouldn't blow a call to loud but on many test I have done I have found that a loud call works far better than a quieter one.

I will be very interested to read other people's replies to this one.

Been out in all sorts of conditions and I can`t say that I`ve noticed any behavioural difference to be honest.Even on moonlit night I think they`re still there but as you say just a bit more cautious

I agree with Dai to a degree about whilst raining but I`ve had some great results in between showers as well. :lol:

More importantly round here seems to be the time that you go out.For example we tend to see more movement after midnight for about an hour and then just before first light for another hour.

Thanks

WSM

We have had sucess on all types of weather( Full moon ,Windy , Raining as long as it isnt to heavy) so can not honestly say which is the best weather for us , on windless nights its easier to take the shot as i dont have to allow for windage , but the quarry can hear you more easily , on windy nights you have to allow for windage and need to stay down wind of your quarry but there is far less chance of being heard personaly i prefere a windless night , And as for times my local farm i have shot all the fox's before eleven at night or first light anytime after that i never see them ,there are also some farms in scotland where you only see them at sertain times of night Our biggest let down is one area over the border this has happend quite a few times , one particular time we shot two fox's within ten mins of ariving , then it happens the mist roles in over the tops and thats the night f****d and this is an area that caries a fair few fox's

I've had as much success at first or last light as during the dark hours, this winter just gone I had 4 or 5 lamping sessions 2 to 3 days apart form each other and just did not see a thing, thought it was me :D;):D then the local 'dog to gun pack' worked some of my area through and drawn a blank, the next morning I was out early and nailed a dog fox on the same ground ;) So I guess it's got a lot to do with the predated food source and what time it's about, in this case foxy was after pheasants coming out of the pen.

Hi

Anytime I can get out lamping is great for me as long as it is not rain and high winds.I have been out lamping on a full moon and see a fox in the field with the lamp and then shot it with the light off the moon with no lamp.

Dogfox

my best nights have always been in light rain, with a good 5-10mph wind going, usually real late on, in the winter last year I foxed one place three times in 4 weeks from about 12-4am, the weather was terrible for the whole month (think it was last november) it rained everynight I went, I ended up with 10 foxes altogether from that farm. Also a good still moonlit night has always been good for just sitting and calling, I dont like to move about much as the fox could see you easy but i have had great sucess on those nights also.

I have checked my journals again and I have some good foxing on a full moon when I have been in fields where a tree or two is stood in the middle so I am away from the hedges, just lean against the tree and let them come to you.

As Craigyboy said when it is light rain I have had some great nights especially on the rabbits. Just recently I have had some good nights on the foxes and a lot of the time it has been before it has got dark. I guess if you are in the right area at the time Charlie is hungry or at this time of the year and they have many mouths to feed then you will be quids in.

Hi guys an interesting thread.

I prefer there to be no moon at all and a light breeze but how often do you get that.

I seem to do well on clear cold frosty nights when you cant see your hand in front of your face.

I was always told bunnys dont like wind but went out one night,it was blowing a gale when i got to the shooting land,i saw more bunnys sat near there holes than ever before couldnt hit many though wind was too strong.

For foxing up tp half moon with little breeze :)

no such thing as a bad time to be out lamping but do prefer a dark night with no wind have also had some great nights out when there's been a covering of snow dont need a lamp if the moon's right the illuminated ret looks great against a white background :)

We also tend to go out at high water on large spring tides, as part of our shooting land is on the Loughor estuary and at high tide it pushes the foxes of the marsh which is partly national trust and on to farm land.

Dave

Guest Smeagle

If we have to go out we have to go out and there isn't much we can do about it. But I do like a cold dark still night, the stars always seem to shine brighter and there is a great feeling of quite.

Oh yeah and there is the shooting as well. :rolleyes:

I find moonlit nights the worst, it's not that we don't spot any but they just don't stand, even with night vision it's difficult.

So for me it's a dark night with just a gentle breeze and preferably one of those barmy summer nights when you don't freeze your nuts off.

Ian

For foxing I prefer a dark , still night. As already stated the call goes further and the wind doesnt go against you as has happened on a few occasions. For rabbiting though you cant beat a bit of wind to get those bunnies far out feeding.I have also shot quite a few foxes on a full moon but not preferable weather. Basically I just like being out whatever the weather apart from pissing down rain.

Archived