Elcho powders

dully1963

Hi I've got the chance of some Elcho powders at a reasonable price for my 308 6brx and a 20 cal but cant find much about them anybody out there got any info or experience with them any advice would be greatly received
Cheers

If it's what I think it is, then Elcho 17 was a powder brand briefly imported into the UK by Commonside five or so years ago.

It's the same powder as Alliant Reloader 17 and ReloadSwiss RS60 and you can use the reloading data interchangably. It's a double-based powder, possibly linked with increased throat erosion.

I don't know whether Elcho 17 is suitable for the calibres you mention: I suggest you look at Alliant's and/or ReloadSwiss data.

Triffid

RS52 for your 308, RS60 for the 6BRX, but not sure about the 20 cal.(never had one).

As for the barrel burner" reputation, I've been shooting stiffish loads through a 6.5x47 with a Lothar barrel from new using RS60, and  after 2150 rounds, the borescope can't see anything untoward................

Re-Pete

I still have some Elcho 17.

I have used it most in my 308, it is my go to powder. It works well with heavier bullets, I have had good results with 180 - 208gr. Wasted on lighter bullets really i.e. no appreciable performance gain, but they still go bang. I would expect you to find yourself  filling the case/compress the load with the heavies if you are loading for velocity.

Reloader 17 data is equivalent as it is the same powder.

My current tub does not seem to produce the same energy levels as previous tubs, if you have a crony it is worth checking the assumption that it is "the same as X". 

It is also somewhat temp sensitive. I don't have precise numbers but stiff loads designed for normal weather gave a decidedly stiff bolt on a hot summers day. Again if that matters, it is worthwhile collecting some temp vs velocity numbers.

Archived