Jump to content
UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Paul Cat

Foxes. What do you do with them?

Recommended Posts

Rabbits, food for people or animals (pets or scavengers) I suppose. Leave them out and they are gone in no time at all.

 

Foxes though, what do you do with them?

 

 

And while we're about it, are foxes really a pest? I know they can be a danger to lambs, chickens and game birds but they also keep the rabbits down, no? According to this article (okay, it's the BBC) they do some good.

 

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/do-we-really-need-control-foxes-uk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The fox population gets out of control without management , they do kill lambs, poultry and game birds , fact .

I  shoot foxes and so do a lot of people I know, none of us would want to see foxes eradicated , foxes are needed but not in the quantities they get to unmanaged, keeping the balance is the key.

The way to dispose of them is in the bottom of a hedgerow or over the fence within woodland, hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Paul Cat said:

Rabbits, food for people or animals (pets or scavengers) I suppose. Leave them out and they are gone in no time at all.

 

Foxes though, what do you do with them?

 

 

And while we're about it, are foxes really a pest? I know they can be a danger to lambs, chickens and game birds but they also keep the rabbits down, no? According to this article (okay, it's the BBC) they do some good.

 

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/do-we-really-need-control-foxes-uk

I responded to this article by telling them the RSPB are probably responsible for more fox control than any other single organisation in the UK.  Virtually every RSPB nature reserve has one or more people contracted by the RSPB to shoot foxes in order to protect ground nesting birds.

 

Cheers

 

Bruce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ask any gamekeeper this time of year their thoughts on foxes, personally I’d wipe the f**kers of the face of the planet. I might get some sleep then. 

Ben 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This time of year the carcase  will be skin and bones in a week once the flies find them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I either put them out of sight or leave them as they fall. 

2 of the last Fox's I had left them out in the open , there was only fluff and bones left after 3  days. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems like a leading question?

Why are you gathering data??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Montey said:

This seems like a leading question?

Why are you gathering data??

Exactly forums have been infiltrated before

M (paranoid in sunny Monmouthshire)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha, singing like canaries in response to a leading question by the OP who has only 5 posts, has only been a member here for 3 weeks and hasn't logged in during the last 10 days  ?

 

I wonder if you could let me have the 1st and 3rd numbers of your pin while you're all at it!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone from the management might think it wise to remove this thread?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BuckhurstBen said:

Thanks for the heads up Sherlock 

I’m here for you Bro.....?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bradders said:

Haha, singing like canaries in response to a leading question by the OP who has only 5 posts, has only been a member here for 3 weeks and hasn't logged in during the last 10 days  ?

 

I wonder if you could let me have the 1st and 3rd numbers of your pin while you're all at it!!

Who cares , no one has claimed to be doing anything illegal , the information on how farmers/keepers / pest controllers operate is no secret , shooting magazines are full of it , I`m happy to discuss fox shooting  face to face with anyone , if they are not educated enough to understand how the countryside ticks thats their look out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Big Al said:

Maybe someone from the management might think it wise to remove this thread?

Why? I`m not ashamed of my perfectly legal fox shooting activities. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Miseryguts said:

infiltrated 

? how did I get 'in' then ???

There is a guy in Cornwall that eats them - but normally limited himself to assorted roadkill. Keeps 'em in a freezer. Gets a lot in as much of it is 2 - dimensional. There was a documentary on him a few years back, the wife refused to be seen on camera for some reason.  The biggest shock was that he had a wife...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chanonry said:

There is a guy in Cornwall that eats them - but normally limited himself to assorted roadkill. Keeps 'em in a freezer. Gets a lot in as much of it is 2 - dimensional. There was a documentary on him a few years back, the wife refused to be seen on camera for some reason.  The biggest shock was that he had a wife...

Dunno if this is the chap; https://youtu.be/OQvt-gxbq5E

Badger tongue...yum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So no denial or out raged comment from op 

what Bradders says ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks to those of you who gave sensible answers, much appreciated and apologies for the tardy reply.

I've cleared all the rabbits from a new permission so eventually will have to start on the foxes which will be looking elsewhere for food. The nearest pheasant shoot is on adjoining land which means in the short term the foxes are someone else's problem but there'll be lambs on 'my' permission next Spring so now would be a good time to put in a variation and, if successful, get some practice.

 

As for some of the others who replied, keep the tinfoil hats on boys.  Next time I'm at the commune, sitting cross-legged in the yurt with Tamsin, and Swampy, sipping organic nettle tea, I'll table.........I mean carpet a motion that despite being murdering meat eaters you're pretty harmless.    ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just hedge them, that said its a private estate of 9000 acres, with very few public footpaths.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, Paul Cat said:

Thanks to those of you who gave sensible answers, much appreciated and apologies for the tardy reply.

I've cleared all the rabbits from a new permission so eventually will have to start on the foxes which will be looking elsewhere for food. The nearest pheasant shoot is on adjoining land which means in the short term the foxes are someone else's problem but there'll be lambs on 'my' permission next Spring so now would be a good time to put in a variation and, if successful, get some practice.

 

As for some of the others who replied, keep the tinfoil hats on boys.  Next time I'm at the commune, sitting cross-legged in the yurt with Tamsin, and Swampy, sipping organic nettle tea, I'll table.........I mean carpet a motion that despite being murdering meat eaters you're pretty harmless.    ?

 

Nice reply to the scaremongering folk here!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a few footpaths on one of my permissions plus the hunt go on there , so i take them home and black bag them and into the freezer, then on dustbin day out they go, no smell as there still frozen, job done, and you may ask why not lay-bys and gateways, i shoot a lot of fox's and most of the gateways\ lay-bys are already full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that's clever. Almost as cunning as ummmmm, something. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy