Foxes. What do you do with them?

Paul Cat

Rabbits, food for people or animals (pets or scavengers) I suppose. Leave them out and they are gone in no time at all.

Foxes though, what do you do with them?

And while we're about it, are foxes really a pest? I know they can be a danger to lambs, chickens and game birds but they also keep the rabbits down, no? According to this article (okay, it's the BBC) they do some good.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/do-we-really-need-control-foxes-uk

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fox population gets out of control without management , they do kill lambs, poultry and game birds , fact .

I  shoot foxes and so do a lot of people I know, none of us would want to see foxes eradicated , foxes are needed but not in the quantities they get to unmanaged, keeping the balance is the key.

The way to dispose of them is in the bottom of a hedgerow or over the fence within woodland, hope this helps.

59 minutes ago, Paul Cat said:

Rabbits, food for people or animals (pets or scavengers) I suppose. Leave them out and they are gone in no time at all.

Foxes though, what do you do with them?

And while we're about it, are foxes really a pest? I know they can be a danger to lambs, chickens and game birds but they also keep the rabbits down, no? According to this article (okay, it's the BBC) they do some good.

http://www.discoverwildlife.com/british-wildlife/do-we-really-need-control-foxes-uk

I responded to this article by telling them the RSPB are probably responsible for more fox control than any other single organisation in the UK.  Virtually every RSPB nature reserve has one or more people contracted by the RSPB to shoot foxes in order to protect ground nesting birds.

Cheers

Bruce

9 hours ago, Montey said:

This seems like a leading question?

Why are you gathering data??

Exactly forums have been infiltrated before

M (paranoid in sunny Monmouthshire)

Haha, singing like canaries in response to a leading question by the OP who has only 5 posts, has only been a member here for 3 weeks and hasn't logged in during the last 10 days  ?

I wonder if you could let me have the 1st and 3rd numbers of your pin while you're all at it!!

10 hours ago, bradders said:

Haha, singing like canaries in response to a leading question by the OP who has only 5 posts, has only been a member here for 3 weeks and hasn't logged in during the last 10 days  ?

I wonder if you could let me have the 1st and 3rd numbers of your pin while you're all at it!!

Who cares , no one has claimed to be doing anything illegal , the information on how farmers/keepers / pest controllers operate is no secret , shooting magazines are full of it , I`m happy to discuss fox shooting  face to face with anyone , if they are not educated enough to understand how the countryside ticks thats their look out.

12 hours ago, Miseryguts said:

infiltrated 

? how did I get 'in' then ???

There is a guy in Cornwall that eats them - but normally limited himself to assorted roadkill. Keeps 'em in a freezer. Gets a lot in as much of it is 2 - dimensional. There was a documentary on him a few years back, the wife refused to be seen on camera for some reason.  The biggest shock was that he had a wife...

2 hours ago, Chanonry said:

There is a guy in Cornwall that eats them - but normally limited himself to assorted roadkill. Keeps 'em in a freezer. Gets a lot in as much of it is 2 - dimensional. There was a documentary on him a few years back, the wife refused to be seen on camera for some reason.  The biggest shock was that he had a wife...

Dunno if this is the chap; https://youtu.be/OQvt-gxbq5E

Badger tongue...yum.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks to those of you who gave sensible answers, much appreciated and apologies for the tardy reply.

I've cleared all the rabbits from a new permission so eventually will have to start on the foxes which will be looking elsewhere for food. The nearest pheasant shoot is on adjoining land which means in the short term the foxes are someone else's problem but there'll be lambs on 'my' permission next Spring so now would be a good time to put in a variation and, if successful, get some practice.

As for some of the others who replied, keep the tinfoil hats on boys.  Next time I'm at the commune, sitting cross-legged in the yurt with Tamsin, and Swampy, sipping organic nettle tea, I'll table.........I mean carpet a motion that despite being murdering meat eaters you're pretty harmless.    ?

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 12:01 AM, Paul Cat said:

Thanks to those of you who gave sensible answers, much appreciated and apologies for the tardy reply.

I've cleared all the rabbits from a new permission so eventually will have to start on the foxes which will be looking elsewhere for food. The nearest pheasant shoot is on adjoining land which means in the short term the foxes are someone else's problem but there'll be lambs on 'my' permission next Spring so now would be a good time to put in a variation and, if successful, get some practice.

As for some of the others who replied, keep the tinfoil hats on boys.  Next time I'm at the commune, sitting cross-legged in the yurt with Tamsin, and Swampy, sipping organic nettle tea, I'll table.........I mean carpet a motion that despite being murdering meat eaters you're pretty harmless.    ?

Nice reply to the scaremongering folk here!

I have a few footpaths on one of my permissions plus the hunt go on there , so i take them home and black bag them and into the freezer, then on dustbin day out they go, no smell as there still frozen, job done, and you may ask why not lay-bys and gateways, i shoot a lot of fox's and most of the gateways\ lay-bys are already full.

Archived