can any of you advise me on good/bad makes
what to look out for, questions I should ask the seller

my son found an Stainless Steel Omega (1970s) with a blue face online
that he liked , but before I part with my hard earned cash 
though I would ask for advice 
thanks
paul

Is there a particular "WHY"?

I mean, people really buy vintage because of a personal reason. Because grandpa got the same as a wedding gift and such. Vintage is really about the emotion within. They won´t do anything a new watch wouldn´t do better for the same price. 

For £200, you could get a nice and serviceable Seiko diver, or even a Steinhart if you shop around a little.

Thanks Lukas

for me vintage means quality materials and build quality and built to last 

not keen on this cheep and cheerful throw away products we seem to all use AND throw away

atb

paul

A little research would show you several modern mechanical watch brands that are not in the least bit cheap and cheerful. Some have been mentioned already, e.g. Seiko, Orient, Seagull, Timefactors, Steinhart.

There’s nothing wrong at all with a vintage watch, but you really have to factor in the cost of a service.

I doubt it's a kosher 70's Omega for £200.............loads of fakes out there. do some research and you will be surprised what the genuine high end old bangers go for.

I bought one of these a year ago:               https://www.amazon.co.uk/Invicta-Analogue-Automatic-Stainless-Bracelet/dp/B001E96DHA 

A 24 jewel self-winding Japanese movement for £89 ? AND it's waterproof to 200m (allegedly....)

Re-Pete

Make sure your son appreciates the size of the watch he is looking at, you will find a lot of vintage watches in the 34-36mm range which is pretty small by current standards.

I bought my son a watch from his birth year for his 21st - newer than the 70s watch you mention above but still vintage by his measure and potentially more meaningful. Chrono24 lets you search by year and may throw up some ideas for you.

Tony

• 4 months later...
On 7/3/2018 at 8:26 AM, Shuggy said:

A little research would show you several modern mechanical watch brands that are not in the least bit cheap and cheerful. Some have been mentioned already, e.g. Seiko, Orient, Seagull, Timefactors, Steinhart.

There’s nothing wrong at all with a vintage watch, but you really have to factor in the cost of a service.

I agree about the servicing costs. Many years back (34 to be precise)  I was very lucky and came across a Sea Dweller that was going cheap, but it was in a state. It cost quite a lot to have it serviced and put right, but I thought was worth it at the time - then I sold in on about 9 years later after it started losing time, and at quite an alarming rate! (should have kept it though as it'd be worth a LOT of money now).

I've recently been looking at a nice 2nd hand Omega Speedmaster, a lovely looking thing, but then I looked into the servicing costs of around £300 - £400 every 4 or 5 years and I had to ask myself if I really needed to have that bill every so often? Eventually, the answer came back, no I didn't! There is always a temptation to own something beautiful & well put together, but like a couple of old flames from my youth, they cost a lot of money to keep going in the long run!

Now I make do with a good, reliable old banger that never lets me down.                                                                                       As for watches, well a tough, radio controlled, solar powered job is good enough for me. I don't need to try to impress anymore.

Ezmobile

ah, but there in is the jist of it all, some beautiful things are worth keeping working and in good condition, be it a watch, vintage car whatever. Just because a battery powered item does everything you want does not mean ditching older (invariably more costly) technology.

concur with the impressing thing - you get to a point where you are not worried what others think, you do things for yourself, but owning something that is ‘nice’ does not alway mean you are polishing your ego!

T

• 1 month later...
On 11/27/2018 at 10:31 AM, ezmobile said:

I agree about the servicing costs. Many years back (34 to be precise)  I was very lucky and came across a Sea Dweller that was going cheap, but it was in a state. It cost quite a lot to have it serviced and put right, but I thought was worth it at the time - then I sold in on about 9 years later after it started losing time, and at quite an alarming rate! (should have kept it though as it'd be worth a LOT of money now).

I've recently been looking at a nice 2nd hand Omega Speedmaster, a lovely looking thing, but then I looked into the servicing costs of around £300 - £400 every 4 or 5 years and I had to ask myself if I really needed to have that bill every so often? Eventually, the answer came back, no I didn't! There is always a temptation to own something beautiful & well put together, but like a couple of old flames from my youth, they cost a lot of money to keep going in the long run!

Now I make do with a good, reliable old banger that never lets me down.                                                                                       As for watches, well a tough, radio controlled, solar powered job is good enough for me. I don't need to try to impress anymore.

After saying all that, I went out and got me a Tag Heuer Calibre 16 Link Auto chronograph.

I wish I could learn to listen to myself once in a while!! (Nice looking watch though)

• 4 months later...

I was lucky enough to get a Rolex Submariner for my 21st birthday 46 years ago, I don't have that original watch anymore (which is another story) but have worn subs ever since, I can honestly say that I have never needed to have one serviced, as long as you are not to precious about a minute or so accuracy, they don't need touching in my experience, although when watches come back from Rolex they look like new.

I tend to agree with others that if I had a £200 top budget, I might be tempted by one of the 'pilot' style watches, I really like the Casio Eco-drive watches or a Seiko.

My preference would be to save up or get a bank loan and go for a used Omega Seamaster divers watch, they represent excellent quality and value.

Anyone looked at Doxa if you like divers watches  big and chunky. Original Sub 250 not too big and nice orange dial makes a difference/ talking point  . Nice bracelets too . Only on the web I think 

6 minutes ago, Richiew said:

Anyone looked at Doxa if you like divers watches  big and chunky. Original Sub 250 not too big and nice orange dial makes a difference/ talking point  . Nice bracelets too . Only on the web I think 

They appear to all be over £2k , the OP was looking for a £200 watch.

• 4 months later...

Never issued a watch in my role 

Though timing of essence on some “jobs”

Many at work go on the principle of McDonald’s is open and it’s dark it’s a late / night shift 

if they’re open and it’s light - is a day shift 

Nom nom nom 😃

Ive used a Casio G shock for the last teen years - not broken a strap or had to replace it as opposed previous ones - this seems to be a good one