17 HMR scope and mounts advice

JackD032

Hi,

I’ve ordered a new CZ455 in 17 HMR and am looking for some advice on what scope and mounts to get. I don’t shoot at night so nv compatibly isn’t an issue. I’ve got a Hawke 4-16 SF on my 22LR but figure I need better optics to make the most of the increased range of the HMR. My budget is around £600 but I could stretch that a bit if the gains are worth it. I’ve read loads on the forums and watched a stack of YouTube videos but haven’t found much on decent optics (without going overboard) for an HMR.

Also I’ve got Sports Match mounts on the 22, will another set of these suffice on the HMR?

SWFA 16x42mm or 10x42mm .... Rear focus with a MOA Quad ret , very good optics with 120 MOA travel & either 35 or 40 MOA of holdover all for £395

They are great for very little money

OSOK

REALISITICALLY £600 buys you a lot of scope, particularly as you will not be shoot vermin past 200metres with 17 HMR and 300 on paper.  IMHO, a Hawke sidewinder 4-16 with SR Pro reticle with eye caps, IL and tac turrets would be a good choice and great support from Deben and has better eye relief than a Vortex.  A S/H Zeiss 3-12x50 would be good, or an Athlon.  I could go on, and on, and on.  The game fair is coming up, or look at Optics Warehouse site

5 hours ago, OSOK said:

SWFA 16x42mm or 10x42mm .... Rear focus with a MOA Quad ret , very good optics with 120 MOA travel & either 35 or 40 MOA of holdover all for £395

They are great for very little money

OSOK

I’ll have a look thanks, think I’m pretty set on variable mag though. Was initially set on S&B 8x56 but thought I might struggle head shooting rabbits at 150m without more mag.

4 hours ago, David Hancock said:

REALISITICALLY £600 buys you a lot of scope, particularly as you will not be shoot vermin past 200metres with 17 HMR and 300 on paper.  IMHO, a Hawke sidewinder 4-16 with SR Pro reticle with eye caps, IL and tac turrets would be a good choice and great support from Deben and has better eye relief than a Vortex.  A S/H Zeiss 3-12x50 would be good, or an Athlon.  I could go on, and on, and on.  The game fair is coming up, or look at Optics Warehouse site

Thanks for your reply, ideally I won’t be spending £600 but I’m prepared to if it’s worth it. The Athlon Helos was one of the first scopes I looked at, just a bit put off by the lack of reviews. I’m currently torn by budget and mid range. The Optisan EVX is very well review by Richard Utting and it’s just over £300!! Double the price gets me a Delta Titanium HD, again raved about by Mr Utting. Then a bit more gets me a Sightron/Meopta. 

Optics Warehouse is a daily go-to currently!!

Hi, as far as I can remember, when I shot a 17HMR, I used to zero at 75 yards and the poi was within 1/2 inch of poa from 50 to 150 yards. X6 mag did the trick for me - Weaver K6. even new they are available around 300 and I have choice of two for 150 ?

M

I've got a Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 on my HMR, which is just awesome on rabbits. I need best low-light performance as I'm usually out at dusk, so the brightest scope give me an advantage. The Meopta gives me that in spades. They come up in your price range second-hand (but are snapped up quick!).

However I normally just leave the magnification on 6x and that's plenty good enough to headshoot rabbits at 120m.  So personally I wouldn't sacrifice optical quality/light transmission/brightness for a zoom. I think your idea of a S&B 8x56 is a good one. Or the Swarovski 6x42 Habicht is another excellent scope. Or the Meopta 7x50.

I don't need the extra magnification and the additional lenses needed for the zoom just absorb more precious light. The only thing that would help more is an illuminated reticule as that's the first thing to disappear as the light goes.

Triffid

1 hour ago, Miseryguts said:

Hi, as far as I can remember, when I shot a 17HMR, I used to zero at 75 yards and the poi was within 1/2 inch of poa from 50 to 150 yards. X6 mag did the trick for me - Weaver K6. even new they are available around 300 and I have choice of two for 150 ?

M

Thanks for the offer, however if I go fixed mag it’ll be the S&B for me. 

1 hour ago, Triffid said:

I've got a Meopta Meostar R1 3-12x56 on my HMR, which is just awesome on rabbits. I need best low-light performance as I'm usually out at dusk, so the brightest scope give me an advantage. The Meopta gives me that in spades. They come up in your price range second-hand (but are snapped up quick!).

However I normally just leave the magnification on 6x and that's plenty good enough to headshoot rabbits at 120m.  So personally I wouldn't sacrifice optical quality/light transmission/brightness for a zoom. I think your idea of a S&B 8x56 is a good one. Or the Swarovski 6x42 Habicht is another excellent scope. Or the Meopta 7x50.

I don't need the extra magnification and the additional lenses needed for the zoom just absorb more precious light. The only thing that would help more is an illuminated reticule as that's the first thing to disappear as the light goes.

Triffid

I’ve been looking at that very scope, looks a fantastic bit of kit. Also daily scanning the classifieds of a couple of forums. Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. 

20 hours ago, David Hancock said:

Just been looking at some reviews of the Hawke Sidewinder 30 4-16 and it’s a lot of scope for the money! Very tempted by this and almost half the price of my budget. Thanks for the recommendation. 

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there 

info re scopes , had aZeiss  3-12x50 On mine for a while but as it’s fixed parallax it wasn’t very good at closer ranges , so went back to a sidewinder by hawke sr pro reticle and am very happy with the scope .

11 hours ago, Richiew said:

Hi there 

info re scopes , had aZeiss  3-12x50 On mine for a while but as it’s fixed parallax it wasn’t very good at closer ranges , so went back to a sidewinder by hawke sr pro reticle and am very happy with the scope .

Thanks mate, I cancelled the HMR after reading a lot of negative reports about the ammunition. Got a variation for 223 and bought a Tikka T3X and a Delta Titanium HD scope, made up with that combo.

On 6/30/2018 at 4:08 PM, spanner said:

Just put my Meopta 3-12 X 56 with the 4K IR Reticule on Guntrader.

Second Focal Plane Reticule.

Are you John of Burnley Lancashire ??

On 6/29/2018 at 4:48 PM, JackD032 said:

Hi,

I’ve ordered a new CZ455 in 17 HMR and am looking for some advice on what scope and mounts to get. I don’t shoot at night so nv compatibly isn’t an issue. I’ve got a Hawke 4-16 SF on my 22LR but figure I need better optics to make the most of the increased range of the HMR. My budget is around £600 but I could stretch that a bit if the gains are worth it. I’ve read loads on the forums and watched a stack of YouTube videos but haven’t found much on decent optics (without going overboard) for an HMR.

Also I’ve got Sports Match mounts on the 22, will another set of these suffice on the HMR?

I’ve got these if they are any use to y7509D5D5-E719-4382-825F-25D1E84B3A08.thumb.jpeg.508752446829cc05c30f8adbfd327456.jpeg

Yes sorry I saw the post re 223 after. Good choice . Great caliber and can’t go wrong with tikka also good reports on those scopes 

good luck 

nice one mate enjoy the 223 , buy best quality gear first time out and you wont regret it in the long run .

very happy with my hmr but have had dodgy ammo ie split necks but only with remington and federal brands . hornady and winchester are fine .

im sorting out some of my scopes and im going put up for sale if your interested?

i got a new still boxed 30mm tube 6-24x50 IR Side PA Deer Hunter Scope £65 posted

Japanese Made Scopes

1. Kassnar+ Mount 3-7x20 £40 posted gloss finish
2. Tasco 4x32 + Mount £30 posted gloss finish Sold
3. Ednar 4x32 £30 posted gloss finish
4. Miroku 4x40 + Mount £40 posted
5. Tasco AG 4x40 AO £60 posted
6. Bushnell 3-9x32 £45 posted gloss finish
7. Tasco 4-12x40 £65 posted gloss finish

None Jap Scopes

8. Hawke Vantage 3-9X40 Mildot in very good condition £55 posted

9.  Nikko Stirling 4-12x50 IR Mildot Non AO boxed in very good condition £50 Posted
10. old Nikko Stirling Gold Crown 4.5-14x50 AO IR Mildot in good condition £55 Posted
11. old Apollo 4x40 2 Star good condition £38 posted

Thank you all. Managed to get out and zero the .223 today and I’m very impressed with it and the Delta scope. Four rounds to zero and another sixteen getting used to the set up. Coming from a PCP and .22 rimfire the accuracy of this set up is incredible with Hornady Varmint Express 55gr. Just a shame they’re £30 for twenty. Bit of a shocker coming from pellets and rimfire!!

First outing for fox early doors tomorrow....

Archived