Speccing CZ527 for Target shooting

Scrumbag

Hello folks,

I have a rather “happy” set of problems I’d appreciate your wisdom on

Myself and a good shooting buddy took my wife and 3 friends to the guest day at Bisley last Saturday shooting at 200yds. Weather was great and everybody had a good time. Sun even shone and we had an ice-cream ½ way through!

Buddy brought along his RPA in .308W with a 8-32x56 Nightforce, 6-9” Harris Bipod

I brought my CZ527 American in .223Rem with 3-9x36 Swaro, 9-13” Harris Bipod

Now, I learned a few things from my wife about my kit –

1. I need more mag – I have a 3-12x50 Duralyt I can use but I’m thinking that might not be enough. Anyone used the 6-18x50 Meopro? (Also suspect tall, clicky turrets might have some appeal).
  2. Need to fill my rear bag more – already ordered more beads from ebay
  3. Stock too low. Thinking of buying one of those Tourbon cheek risers with the foam inserts for changing the height (I really like the stock as it is). Anyone used one?
  4. Bipod too tall – Anyone tried the 6-9 Sniper Systems offering?

ATB,

Scrummy

Try the Duralyt, 12x is probably fine at 200. Try a shorter bipod. A harris or harris clone, not all clones are equal so buy one you can look at and push/pull the joints first.

Lower bipod may mean you don't need to lift the rear bag so much.

David.

7 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Hello folks,

I have a rather “happy” set of problems I’d appreciate your wisdom on

Myself and a good shooting buddy took my wife and 3 friends to the guest day at Bisley last Saturday shooting at 200yds. Weather was great and everybody had a good time. Sun even shone and we had an ice-cream ½ way through!

Buddy brought along his RPA in .308W with a 8-32x56 Nightforce, 6-9” Harris Bipod

I brought my CZ527 American in .223Rem with 3-9x36 Swaro, 9-13” Harris Bipod

Now, I learned a few things from my wife about my kit –

1. I need more mag – I have a 3-12x50 Duralyt I can use but I’m thinking that might not be enough. Anyone used the 6-18x50 Meopro? (Also suspect tall, clicky turrets might have some appeal).
  2. Need to fill my rear bag more – already ordered more beads from ebay
  3. Stock too low. Thinking of buying one of those Tourbon cheek risers with the foam inserts for changing the height (I really like the stock as it is). Anyone used one?
  4. Bipod too tall – Anyone tried the 6-9 Sniper Systems offering?

ATB,

Scrummy

Yes, ...great optics and build, tracking, parallax, is spot-on (on mine)...and one of the best VFM scopes out there....  and if you can get one second-hand, even better. .....Got three Meopta's (1 Meostar & 2 Meopro's) and wouldn't part with any - suppose the Meopta glass appeals to my eye more than, or as good as anything, top, top-end))......However I would find the BDC reticle is a little too thick for 300yds but, that is also dependant on your target size

Lens is exactly the same in both the Meostar & Meopro as confirmed by Meopta themselves. Difference in model price is down to attention of quality control and of internal mechanisms

Never had a problem with any of them

ATB

I use a foam insert cheek riser with my 527/Boyds stock.  They are fine and improve eye line up with the scope.  In my case, I didn't go the Tourban route and now wish that I had as with mine you have to stretch the tight fitting neoprene sock to remove the foam inserts (which are in good and tight on mine) every time you want to clean the barrel, which is every time its used in my case!  Stick with one like the Tourban and you'll be fine.  Adjustable ones like the Kalix Technik are better but only fit stocks with hollow butt sections.

1 hour ago, VarmLR said:

I use a foam insert cheek riser with my 527/Boyds stock.  They are fine and improve eye line up with the scope.  In my case, I didn't go the Tourban route and now wish that I had as with mine you have to stretch the tight fitting neoprene sock to remove the foam inserts (which are in good and tight on mine) every time you want to clean the barrel, which is every time its used in my case!  Stick with one like the Tourban and you'll be fine.  Adjustable ones like the Kalix Technik are better but only fit stocks with hollow butt sections.

That's also good to know! Kalahari has a fixed Tourbon one that I shall look at this weekend. I can see one being ordered on Monday.

13 hours ago, snakeman said:

Yes, ...great optics and build, tracking, parallax, is spot-on (on mine)...and one of the best VFM scopes out there....  and if you can get one second-hand, even better. .....Got three Meopta's (1 Meostar & 2 Meopro's) and wouldn't part with any - suppose the Meopta glass appeals to my eye more than, or as good as anything, top, top-end))......However I would find the BDC reticle is a little too thick for 300yds but, that is also dependant on your target size

Lens is exactly the same in both the Meostar & Meopro as confirmed by Meopta themselves. Difference in model price is down to attention of quality control and of internal mechanisms

Never had a problem with any of them

ATB

Cheers Snakeman. I have the Meopta 6-24x56 on my 7x64 which is one heck of a scope. Good to hear the that the meopro is good if necessary.

I have also seen this advertiesed and I am trying not to be tempted... 

FWIW Harris bipods represent a good used purchase currently as the silly-low price of some of the clones has driven down their second hand value. A while ago I bought a minty 6-9" tilt model for IIRC £50 or £55 posted - less than half the price of a new example and far better made than most clones.

20 hours ago, clover said:

FWIW Harris bipods represent a good used purchase currently as the silly-low price of some of the clones has driven down their second hand value. A while ago I bought a minty 6-9" tilt model for IIRC £50 or £55 posted - less than half the price of a new example and far better made than most clones.

Thanks Clover, good point!

8 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Thanks Clover, good point!

No worries - glad to help :)

As an aside, as someone who's just acquired a fairly modest .223 I'm enthused to see another shooter getting into F-class without gear that requires another mortgage. Good luck!

On 7/6/2018 at 11:27 PM, clover said:

No worries - glad to help :)

As an aside, as someone who's just acquired a fairly modest .223 I'm enthused to see another shooter getting into F-class without gear that requires another mortgage. Good luck!

And that right there is the problem with F Class

3 minutes ago, Scrumbag said:

I suppose it is the "F1" of target rifle shooting

Well it’s certainly has more going for it than Benchrest, but if you are using that analogy then i’d Compare CSR (greatest discipline ever BTW) to Rallying....more excitement at every stage ?

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Well it’s certainly has more going for it than Benchrest, but if you are using that analogy then i’d Compare CSR (greatest discipline ever BTW) to Rallying....more excitement at every stage ?

Dear boy, sporting rifle is the only discipline ;)

Archived