Best fibre cartridges for driven duck

Finlay22

You can put steel 4mm and under through any choke you like through a modern shotgun ,I've fired thousands and I use steel for all my shotgun shooting ? for driven duck steel no4 or no3  (3.25mm ,3.5mm) would be my first choice .if felt wads are a must you are obviously restricted but gamebore do a steel shot load with a felt wad 

Eh no, (the emphasis below is mine) ....

KRIEGHOFF's POSITION ON STEEL SHOT

Krieghoff Titanium Choke Tubes are suitable for use with both Lead and Steel Shot. In accordance with industry guidelines we recommend that the maximum choke constriction used with steel shot is 0.020", about Half Choke
Krieghoff recommends that steel shot not be fired through tightly choked barrels, such as a full choked or improved modified choked barrel. Modified choke should be the tightest choke used with steel shot. 

Steel shot may create excessive wear to the ramp area of a tightly choked barrel and therefore may damage and ruin the barrel. Note that a more open choke with steel shot does not result in any loss of ballistic efficiency since steel shot patterns tighter than lead shot, and modified choke gives the optimal long range performance with steel shot.
Krieghoff competition shotguns with factory choke tubes can be used with steel shot as long as the choke constriction does not exceed modified. Fixed choked barrels with chokes tighter than modified should ideally be equipped with steel shot suitable choke tubes rather than attempting to have the chokes opened. There are firms in the after market offering choke tube installations. One such firm that specializes in the installation of steel shot suitable choke tubes is Briley in Houston, Texas. They have many years of competent experience and are highly recommended by Krieghoff.

For larger steel shot (above 4mm) yes briley extended chokes are excellent , the bottom line is use what you want to use but il guarantee you won’t do any damage to modern gun . A company will cover there back and play is very safe for obvious reasons , I’ve got emails from a few different company’s confirming what I’ve said about chokes and shot size . 

Not looking for an argument just use what your happy with but il use what I no works best after shooting and pattern testing 100s of different steel loads , different cases ,powders wads etc etc 

3 hours ago, bigyin said:

A company will cover there back and play is very safe for obvious reasons , I’ve got emails from a few different company’s confirming what I’ve said about chokes and shot size . 

il use what I no works best after shooting and pattern testing 100s of different steel loads , different cases ,powders wads etc etc 

Please don't go giving people advice that is the opposite of what gun and ammunition manufacturers recommend on the basis of some fannying about on a pattern plate. Take some advice from the people who do it for a living.

Half choke max.

If someone f*cks their gun  nice of you to provide a guarantee to them though. Good man.

Last reply from me , 

the lad asked for advice and I told him what I’ve used successfully in probably 15 different shotguns since 1999 since lead shot was banned for wildfowl . 

So il continue to “fanny” about as you put it ?

Archived