Wet tumbling on a budget?

dashed

Looking at buying some kit to wet tumble with stainless pins - can anyone recommend one of the cheaper rock / jewelry tumblers on eBay? There seem to be a few on there for around £50-60 but I've no idea if these will be up to the job, or which model I should go for. I'll only ever do a max of 50 cases once or twice a year so not big quantities (mainly stalking with the odd session on the range).

Also, what about stainless pins - any recommendations?

Many thanks in advance.

I've been using this tumbler with a few of the stainless steel balls https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-3KG-Rotary-Tumbler-Jewelry-Polisher-Finisher-Machine-Polishing-Bead-220V/122488320874?epid=28009037944&hash=item1c84df736a:g:UKsAAOSwLs9aVDUU

But most of the cleaning media are these stainless steel pins https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304-Stainless-Steel-Polishing-0-5X5-mm-Pins-Magnetic-Tumbler-shot-polishers-/182709306192?hash=item2a8a52c350

You'll need  a couple of bags, each 250g

The tumbler has a  timer, variable speed and a reversing option.  Turn the timer off, and the reversing option on so that the drum runs one way and then the other at the fastest speed which still makes the cases tumble around inside the drum rather than sticking to the outside of the drum.

I use warm tap water, a couple of drops of washing up liquid a level teaspoon of citric acid crystals. You can buy citric acid crystals by the Kg on E bay.  It's the citric acid that gives the cases their shine, so if that doesn't bother you, then just use water and detergent 

Depending on how dirty you brass is, tumble for 3-4 hours and then examine for cleanliness.

I normally open the drum and let warm water run into it so that the dirty water is flushed out. I keep the water running while I remove and check each case

With a case still in the drum, turn it neck down and shake it up and down to remove any pins from inside the case.

Use a torch to check inside the case to make sure all the pins are out and that the case is cleaned to your satisfaction

Check each primer pocket for pins jamming across it.

I've been using this method for about 6 months now and have cleaned a total of around 500 cases of 22 hornet, 22-250 and 243.

The results have been excellent - far better than I ever achieved with a dry media tumbler or an ultrasonic cleaner.

Cheers

bruce

I have the 5kg version of the tumbler mentioned by Phoenix.......mine cost £105 off ebay, and came with a bag of balls. The balls work quite well, but don't get into the primer pocket corners, so I bought half a kilo of these;

https://www.1967spud.com/shop/stm-tumblers/pins/

They work out cheaper than those on ebay and reach the parts balls can't reach.

The tumbler is a no-brainer at the price............had mine for a year now.

Re-Pete

Archived