UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
sean223

.284 win with 180gr ELD M

Hi all. Would like to hear from people that’s using the Hornady 180gr ELD M in there .284! What powder, speeds, barrel length yous all using?? Having a new 28” .284 barrel with a 1:7.5 twist fitted and throated for the 180s. Was looking to use one of the cooler burning powders RS62 or N165 if its possible to get around the 2800 fps mark without using some of the hotter double based powder. Cheers. 

N165 will do you fine.the 180gr eld m isn't the choice of match shooters as yet.i will try some at some point out of curiosity.

It’s going to be used as a long-range varminting gun, that’s why am going with the 180gr ELD Ms. What powder, speeds, barrel length is people using with the heavier 7mm bullets? Cheers. 

Hello Sean.

I use 55.5 grains of N165 under a Sierra 183 grn MK (# 1983) and gets it to about 2,800 fps with a 34 inch 1:8 Bartlien courtesy of Mick Maksimovitch @ Dolphin. seated "just" off the lands. A good, accurate round.

57grs of N165 pushed the 162gr amaxs about 2950fps from a 26 inch barrel on a warm day going by what my bal cal tells me from entering the correct weather condition when it was zeroed.i chronied them at 2860fps in the cool winter temps.it shoots like a laser out to 600yds and tried a few at 1000yds that were 👍😁.I use 180gr hybrids and 180gr scenar l's for shooting paper.

What powder and speeds you getting using the 180’s??

In excess of 2800fps on.56.5grs of N165. If you wanna use RS60 it will do over 2900fps on 52grs out of a 26 inch tube.great accuracy double based powder.i never chronied RS60 load on a warm day.it will be dapping along 😁