.284 win with 180gr ELD M

sean223

Hi all. Would like to hear from people that’s using the Hornady 180gr ELD M in there .284! What powder, speeds, barrel length yous all using?? Having a new 28” .284 barrel with a 1:7.5 twist fitted and throated for the 180s. Was looking to use one of the cooler burning powders RS62 or N165 if its possible to get around the 2800 fps mark without using some of the hotter double based powder. Cheers. 

It’s going to be used as a long-range varminting gun, that’s why am going with the 180gr ELD Ms. What powder, speeds, barrel length is people using with the heavier 7mm bullets? Cheers. 

Hello Sean.

I use 55.5 grains of N165 under a Sierra 183 grn MK (# 1983) and gets it to about 2,800 fps with a 34 inch 1:8 Bartlien courtesy of Mick Maksimovitch @ Dolphin. seated "just" off the lands. A good, accurate round.

57grs of N165 pushed the 162gr amaxs about 2950fps from a 26 inch barrel on a warm day going by what my bal cal tells me from entering the correct weather condition when it was zeroed.i chronied them at 2860fps in the cool winter temps.it shoots like a laser out to 600yds and tried a few at 1000yds that were ??.I use 180gr hybrids and 180gr scenar l's for shooting paper.

In excess of 2800fps on.56.5grs of N165. If you wanna use RS60 it will do over 2900fps on 52grs out of a 26 inch tube.great accuracy double based powder.i never chronied RS60 load on a warm day.it will be dapping along ?

• 2 years later...
On 8/5/2020 at 12:25 PM, Scrumbag said:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm going to load some of this bullet this afternoon.

7x64

26", 1:8.25" Bartlein

RS70 and hoping for something in the 2700 fps range

Scrummy

Can I politely suggest starting a new thread as you aren't loading for 284Win.

When load data is shared for same bullet/different case but in the same thread, there is a risk of confusing subsequent readers of that thread, with safety implications.

3 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Sorry, noted.

284W and 7x64 tend to give not dissimilar results in terms of performance hence my interest in what people were doing with 284W and the ELD-M.

I was not about to advocate transferring load data between the 2.

Scrummy

No apology needed!

I load the 180ELD-M in a straight 284Win rifle. Furthest I've shot it is 1.4k and accuracy has been good enough to win one ELR comp.

Previously, I've noticed poor box-to-box consistency in weight and base-to-ogive of Hornady bullets so I used to stick to Sierra, Lapua etc. However, these ELD-Ms are proving consistent on both measurements (I still check, though.)

In my rifle they shoot best slightly jammed. 

I tried 5 more 180gr ELDM's in my 7mm saum about 3 weeks ago at 1000yds electronics and 2 out the 5 shots I fired didn't register. All the other approximate 165 shots fired between 2 of us did..🤔

They are good until they don't make it...

17 minutes ago, No i deer said:

I tried 5 more 180gr ELDM's in my 7mm saum about 3 weeks ago at 1000yds electronics and 2 out the 5 shots I fired didn't register. All the other approximate 165 shots fired between 2 of us did..🤔

They are good until they don't make it...

I've heard people say if you twist them too fast and at too high of an MV they have difficulties.

I'm using a 1:8.25 twist and about 2750fps so guessing a fair bit less rotational force than your SAUM generates?

Justin's statement would be correct..

He'd soon stop using them if he started getting blank targets...

I thought it might be the longer barrel and the extra friction but his barrels probaly 30 inches or more.

I've had no problem with them in my 284 either and there doing about 2800fps through my 26 inch barrel. They definately don't like my saum 😂

5 hours ago, Bangbangman said:

No apology needed!

I load the 180ELD-M in a straight 284Win rifle. Furthest I've shot it is 1.4k and accuracy has been good enough to win one ELR comp.

Previously, I've noticed poor box-to-box consistency in weight and base-to-ogive of Hornady bullets so I used to stick to Sierra, Lapua etc. However, these ELD-Ms are proving consistent on both measurements (I still check, though.)

In my rifle they shoot best slightly jammed. 

I'm hoping to get out to 1,200 yds later this month with mine. Load testing tomorrow morning.

Scrummy

4 hours ago, Scrumbag said:

Gotcha. Was reading Nathan Forster's forum (Ballisticstudies.com) and he was saying that if you shoot the ELD-Ms in a 7mm Practical (300 WM necked to 7mm) with a faster than 1:9 twist they will break up. Guessing your SAUM is fairly quick!

Scrummy

2960fps in my 1 in 9 twist..

I tried them in my 1 in 8.25 twist barrel on 61.8gr and 62grs of N165. They too shot great but I didn't chrony them.. just a couple of test groups as I'd already loaded them before I had the blank targets with my 1 in 9 so I fired them rather than pull them. I'd imagine on 62grs would be a bit slower. Not much though...