OCD rant!

lenteped

OED definition of the word 'break': Separate into pieces as a result of a blow, shock, or strain.

Ditto for the word 'brake': A thing that slows or hinders a process.

Sad I know, but it makes me wince every time the writer of an otherwise interesting, well-written post describes the sometimes anti-social screwy- onny end-of-barrel thing as a muzzle break. As far as I know, they don't.:huh:

Quite often it’s the result of predictive text and not reading it through before posting.  I’ve sent many a post with the for ‘fir’ instead of ‘for’.

Just to add fuel to the fire, how about reticle (a cross-hair within a gun sight) and reticule (a small handbag carried by those of the Jane Austen fan cub).

However, the OED gives the second spelling as an alternate to the first. Pedantic, moi? Still, the vision of a roughie, toughie rifle shootist equipped with a drawstring purse does bother me a little. :rolleyes:

Got to agree with you on the reticle/reticule thing, and I was disappointed when I found out that reticule was also an alternate spelling.

Short words are always better than long words.

my personal disgust reaches it's apex when our american friends - and more and more people on this side of the atlantic insist on using the word "expiration", when the perfectly good word "expiry" is shorter and has been around for much longer.

This sort of stuff happens when people who know little of what they speak simply make stuff up

I used to work with a guy who just made words up because he didn't know the correct word already existed.  Best example of that was when he described the fence around a work area as the "perimetric" fence rather than the simpler and better "perimeter" fence

Sorry, rant over

Cheers

Bruce

Just to be pendantic Phoenix, you shouldn't have an apostrophe in "it's" above. Its is an exception to the possessive apostrophe. The only time "it's" is correct is when it's an abbreviation of "it is".

Not that many people care about punctuation or spelling these days, the Americans being experts in the butchery of both..

31 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

...the Americans being experts in the butchery of both [punctuation and spelling]...

Americans? You obviously haven’t read a lot of posts on this forum. It often seems to me that a substantial minority of UKV posters have English only as a (distant) second language.

maximus otter

Just to be pendantic Phoenix, you shouldn't have an apostrophe in "it's" above. Its is an exception to the possessive apostrophe. The only time "it's" is correct is when it's an abbreviation of "it is".

Not that many people care about punctuation or spelling these days, the Americans being experts in the butchery of both..

You are quite correct, please accept my humble apologies?

Cheers

Bruce

Maybe we should install an English test/spelling test in the application to join the forum. Keep those from other countries out that just cannot spell and those who are weak at spelling... riff raff.... probably can't shoot because of it anyway.

edi

:D Chris, three out of four words correct...   bit like myself, only I have never been good at languages/spelling that's why I have sympathy with others.

As a kid I was brought up German at home and then Afrikaans between kids. First school was English and they sent me to hospital to get an operation on my tongue (full blown op) because I couldn't pronounce the "R" to their standards. Imagine that nowadays...

edi

I just had to post this one, it is off another country's forum. Enjoy

I use to work in management for a very large ammo company. I was there a short time. I always felt the company policy was to try to sale as many different types of ammo in a given caliber that would give different degrees of accuracy. that is understandable for the consumer as long as the poor grouping ammo was at a cheaper price then the ammo that was more accurate at a higher price. 
What I am saying and what I thought I saw was the company as soon as they found a type of bullet and Risipe for ammo that performed great at a low price and ***** started to attract good reviews***** and when this ammo started to out sale their higher dollar ammo it was stopped being manufactured or components switched so that accuracy would go down and not out perform their high dollar accurate ammo in the same cal. 
This company I worked for I thought did this in many instances. I am seeing it now in a certain box of ammo that is getting hard to find for me at the old price and have heard from retailers it looks like it is being discontinued. Am I all wet in this thinking. I think it happens in a lot in other industries too but I have really seen it in ammunition companies. Companies do hold back in making the best product they can at a fair price. I think it is to protect their market share ? I guess it is ok if you can get away with it with your customer.

Archived