.260Rem Load.

STU_BOI

Good Morning all. As i am soon to be the owner if a new .260Rem i am looking for some recommendations on loads.

The rifle will have a 26" 1-8 twist barrel. I have some 120gr heads and Lapua brass with LR primers.

All other consumable are open to recommendation. After a bit if research it seems that N150 seems to be a decent powder for accuracy and velocity.

The rounds will be used mostly for deer and fox, with the occasional leg stretch on some gongs out to 800M.

Any Info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Stu

I have used N160 since 2013. Around 44.7 gr in Lapua brass with CCI 200 primers has worked well for me for some time. I have in the past used RL-19. Earlier loads with Nosler brass ranged from 44.1 to 45.3gr of N160. Some of the initial N160 I used was nearly 20 years old, so as ever work up your own loads.

https://load-data.nosler.com/load-data/260-remington/

Regards JCS

1 hour ago, STU_BOI said:

Good Morning all. As i am soon to be the owner if a new .260Rem i am looking for some recommendations on loads.

The rifle will have a 26" 1-8 twist barrel. I have some 120gr heads and Lapua brass with LR primers.

All other consumable are open to recommendation. After a bit if research it seems that N150 seems to be a decent powder for accuracy and velocity.

The rounds will be used mostly for deer and fox, with the occasional leg stretch on some gongs out to 800M.

Any Info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Stu

I have a similar combination to you, i also use the same brass.

My rifle likes 41.6 gr of RS60 behind a 120 gr bullet.

For heavier bullets i use the single based RS62.

Thanks for the replies,

What sort of velocities are you getting with these powders?

Ive seen that the RS powders are a little less temp sensitive, not a huge consideration, just something else to note i guess. Have you found this to be the case?

cheers,

Stu.

I had very good results with 123 and 130gn bullets with N150. There is a downside though with this powder - pressures seem to peak rather quickly when you get to maximum. N160 is likely a bit (lot?) more tolerant.

By coincidence, when I get back to shooting (convalescing after surgery right now) 260 is back on my 'play list'  having had my old FN SPR rebarreled in it yet again, but this time in 'long throat' form for shooting 140s at around 2.95" COALs. I'll also use it to see how well Berger's impressive looking new 130gn 'Tactical AR-Hybrid' manages at magazine length and around 160- thou' jump.

I'd more likely go 6.5 Creedmoor in SRP Brass form these days all other things being equal, but with the SPR being a b*gg*r for blanking SR primers and the cost of a firing pin turning / bolt bushing job being another £300 on top of the rebarrel, it was simply too expensive. There's nothing wrong with the old 260 anyway and plenty of good brass available for it.

Thanks all.

Dashed you say slow but what velocities are you talking? and barrel length?

Bradders i'm sure it will more than do for deer and fox?

cheers.

Thanks for all the replies,

Going off what has been said i'm now thinking N160 is the way to go. 

Am i right in thinking that if dashed was getting 2650fps from a 22" barrel then with my 26" id be looking at closer to 2800-2900fps (roughly, given all the other variables)

cheers,

stu

Archived