338LM - 250gr velocity loads

Lukas_K

As stated, if velocity is the goal with a 250gr bullet from a 28" barrell, what powders would give best results? I'm thinking N570, RS80... But aren't they too slow for this bullet weight already? I'll be happy if I can hit 3000fps reliably without overpressure.

I think you'd be over optimistic getting 3000fps from a 28" barrel without running into serious over pressure.

I think you're also likely to completely kane your barrel if you continue down the max velocity route. It seems to be common amongst many Americans who seem fixated on chasing highest velocities possible. I guess that's ok if you don't mind replacing barrels on a regular basis - they are a lot cheaper over there, less so here. 

If you take the advice of many of the top shooters, they favour top accuracy over top velocity. I'd consider finding the best accuracy load in your rifle, not the fastest.

Just my two pennies worth.

95g of N570 gives me 2950 with 250g Scenars....30 inch barrel......no pressure issues....normal caveats of course.

Well the usual fears and caveats as stated above, I know of. But keeping to the old ways is not how the progress happens :)

DaveT: 2950 is lovely, therefore I suppose you don´t find N570 overly slow for the bullet weigth/case volume combination? Have you tried RS80? 

I load 95gn of N570  with a 250 Scenar using a Ruag case. That load gives me around 2900-2950fps, I can't remember the exact number. This is out of my bog standard TRG42.   

Not tried RS80.......N570 works just fine.

Blimey- I chronoed some .338 in my AX last weekend

250gr lock base with 87 gr of N165 was a stout load (find a load that suits you don't use my data) produced only 2750fps but it should reach the mile.......I hope

i am not sure that N165 is the powder to use, H4350 produced near the same velocity with a 225gr Hornady and was much nicer to shoot, perhaps I will go back to the H4350???

any comments?

Archived