Accuracy internationals L96A1

Hi guys just thought I would let you all know that Helston Gunsmiths in Cornwall have four 308 AI,s down here for sale @£2750 each.They come with a s@b 2.5/10x50 scopes fitted are in a green colour and all have their own hard case.For more details dont ask me but give "Rommel" a ring on 01326573385 and tell him you got wind of it from me.From all accounts they are in very very good order but I have not seen them so make your own minds up.Cheers Onehole

Thanks for that Onehole.

A bit pricy, but if they come with S&B's they are probably ex police issue and would be a bargain for anyone looking for a one stop shop into quality gear...

If they are ex police, I guess they wont be more than 5 years old and done no real shooting.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest varmartin

Had a look at one today....£2750 + VAT !!!! :blink: not .308......the one i spied was 7.62mm nato stamped in the tube.

They are painted in `Nato green` with a ` vortex` type flash hider/brake. with a 2.5-10x50 S&B.

A bit `scat up` but I guess they have seen some real action.

All loaded in a heavy duty Ally, foam lined box you could chuck out of a Chinook.

7.62x51mm is the military equivalent of the 308 Winchester - in essence the same thing. :blink:

Guest varmartin
7.62x51mm is the military equivalent of the 308 Winchester - in essence the same thing. :blink:

I was fully aware of that Ronin...what I meant was that they are `Nato` spec. not Police issue...if that ,makes sense ??

Sorry Martin, wasnt attempting to insult your intelligence :blink::D

Could you say if they are AE or AW models.

AW has square bolt shroud.

AE has a conical shaped (ish) shroud

AW has horizontal lever safety on bolt.

AE has vertical lever safety on bolt.

Thanks for the heads up on the AI's....

Just got back from Helston to have a look at them, with intention of buying one. Rommel had one on the desk in a case there and then. What I can say is its an early L96 A1 and as such is alot less 'refined' than the newer models. It only had a five shot mag, but unless I'm loosing it I'm sure its what would now be termed an AW (but have to admit heart sank and lost interest a bit when the lid came off the box). It has certainly seen a bit of use, judging buy the age of the green paint/wear marks and the case has been through it a bit. I didn't actually look down the bore in the end. The S&B seemed fine for a used scope on a rifle like this, but not as you would expect 'mint'. Overall I'm glad I went down to have a look, but unless your after an earlier model I wouldn't get too excited. Interesting, neat design of muzzle brake though. Personally I'd say the price is ok, but I'd rather wait 3-4months and pay an extra 700-800 and have one brand new, minus the scope and old box.

N.B. Onehole completely forgot, I've got 300 lapua cases at home for you. I'm back from uni mid December so could meet up then to hand over/go for some bunnies etc. Cheers

Guest varmartin
Sorry Martin, wasnt attempting to insult your intelligence :blink::D

Could you say if they are AE or AW models.

AW has square bolt shroud.

AE has a conical shaped (ish) shroud

AW has horizontal lever safety on bolt.

AE has vertical lever safety on bolt.

AS tiff has said...i think the one i saw was an AW.....I would also buy new ( unless i was a collector after an early version ) with loads of cash. :D

tiff.....I did look down the bore !!! it was kind of shiny with a twist to it :D :D ...I'm no professional, but it looked crisp in the throat, did not look at the crown .....but what does that prove ???

I'm a bit confused by the descriptions! Particularly the 5 rd magazines which sound AEish; as well as the fact that the L96 and AW are actually pretty different rifles (the AW is designated L118A1)! The most obvious difference between the 2 (ignoring the different butt shapes) are the safeties (winchester style on the AW, an up/down lever on the L96) and the bipod (PH spigot type on the AW, very non-PH non-spigot bipod on the L96).

I wouldn't buy an L96, but if they're AWs, the price doesn't strike me as a piss take, more like a top-end start point for bargaining -pre VAT a new one is £3000 + £70 for a mount +£300 for the aluminium case =£3370 ......and you're getting a schmidt scope too. Depends whether you want the case and whether the scope is the spec you want! (and whether you can knock them down by about £350 :D )

I'm a bit confused by the descriptions! Particularly the 5 rd magazines which sound AEish; as well as the fact that the L96 and AW are actually pretty different rifles (the AW is designated L118A1)! The most obvious difference between the 2 (ignoring the different butt shapes) are the safeties (winchester style on the AW, an up/down lever on the L96) and the bipod (PH spigot type on the AW, very non-PH non-spigot bipod on the L96).

I wouldn't buy an L96, but if they're AWs, the price doesn't strike me as a piss take, more like a top-end start point for bargaining -pre VAT a new one is £3000 + £70 for a mount +£300 for the aluminium case =£3370 ......and you're getting a schmidt scope too. Depends whether you want the case and whether the scope is the spec you want! (and whether you can knock them down by about £350 :( )

I offered to buy 2 and the price was still the same...+ vat...hmmm. :D

As you say if they were AWs then maybe but from what was said they are early units and have been used...! :D

Took the trouble of reading up on AI,s looked at their web site and other write ups etc etc and they seem an impressive bit of kit.Apparently they do a varminter version with the offer of a few flat shooting calibres ,has anyone got experience of any of these and does the AI present itself well in this role as an equal or superior rifle say to a custom varminter that any one of our good smithy,s could knock up perhaps a good deal cheaper too!?

Reading the AI,s credentials they guarantee a rifle will hold a minute of angle accuracy before leaving the factory?????would not want that one!!!guess thats with factory stuff{I hope}

I know F2N has got one anybody else please that could come on and expand a bit for us----many thanks Onehole.

yo mr 'o' did you know that in trails to find a new sniper rifle back along the competition was narrowed down to two, the AI and the parker hale

the parker hale actually beat the AI in the accuracy test with ease and was only dropped due to them not offering a 300wm or 338lm and the fact that the AI had skins

I know F2N has got one anybody else please that could come on and expand a bit for us----many thanks Onehole.

Hope this answers some of your questions; 100m target (target's 4 years old now) shot when I first bought my AW, 3 rds Lapua factory on the right, 3rds my hunting load on the left.

P6190146.jpg

AI's, you either love em, or hate em......

Or like me, love the action, robustness and accuracy, but f....in hate the bloody stock shape :ph34r:

If the damn thing fitted me without being unconfortable in the forend, I would have kept my own (now foxing2nights)

As a system, they are bomb proof (especialy the AW's) as the action is bonded to the stock, barrels are easy changed and even if the bolt lugs start to wear out the abutments, the abuttment collar can be changed for a new one in minutes. Well thought out design - bolt easily stripped (lock time slooooow though) and triggers need to be ajusted to get right without excessive creep in second stage.

Whats wrong with them - did I mention the damn awful stock shape :)

If your wondering about major differences bettween AE and AW without stripping the skins off, easy tell is the bolt shroud shape and safety position (as ive already posted)

Pic of both below:

PictureAEBolt.jpg

Would I buy another?

Hell yes, cracking rifles, shame I couldnt find an AW action and stick it into a Mac A5 or Manners T4a - that would make a great rifle exceptional.

Get a 308, load it to 2.885" COL with 46g of Vit 140 under a Scenar 155g and it will print one holes all day long

DSC00502-1.png

:D

:lol:

yes mate, but missed :ph34r:

seriously, lower single shot was a sighter, ajusted, then fired two into same hole, looked good, so fired another three (all into same hole), used the orange blob as aim point only.

So in answer to the question, I missed the blob :):D:mellow:

HI Ronin ,

Actually , you can have your cake and eat It , buy a new Badger M2008 action , they are VERY simliar to the AW action , but use the 6 lug version bolt like the AWSMs , but in a short action that uses the same 10rd AW mag ,

McMillan & manners inlet for them , me I would use a McMillan McHale stock , and use either Surgeon or badger bottom metal , to take the 10rd AW mag .

Later Chris

Chris

the Badger 2008 is indeed lovely (ive only seen photos on SH and some footage on you tube) as yet its untested in the field.

Looks like it will deliver, but getting one here, or over here,,,,may b a struggle.

Would love to see one in the flesh :blink:

I dont think its a "copy" (well a true copy anyway) but it has "similarities", breach lock ring, same shaped bolt shroud and bolt handle,,,,,if the shroud incorporated a 3 position safety you would certainly have to look twice to be sure of heritage..

Left hooker, yeah right, maybe next decade.....would be easier to declare lefties witches again me-thinks :blink: (sorry BD)

There is a pretty scathing reply to a post about the 2008 action from the president of AI USA on the hide at the moment...

I have to say I like the look of the action, but have yet to read or see a proper range report from a build of one...

Ronin

Sorry, I was being an arse....to my eye the badger is a a wildly obvious copy of the AW action :lol: .

Reading the stuff on the Hide (which, by the way, I wouldn't have picked up on unless you'd mentioned it - I'm weaning myself off the Hide altogether -to much 'dumb is cool' hick stuff :lol: ) I can see a big 'kerfuffle' coming !

The one thing that puts me off the Badger 2008 (other than the fact that they'll probably be litigated out of existance PDQ!) is the fact that AW have some pretty swept up and hard-won heat-treatment processes going on in their production of the AW bolt.

Simply measuring and copying will probably miss the safety levels now engineered into AI actions (I wonder if they went 6 lug to try to get around this) :lol:

ah well!

Archived