Tumbler media

Furyan

Hi anybody recommend a decent media for the dry tumbler , I just put a tub of lyman`s red stuff in and omg its stained the cases ,me, everything . and it compacted into the 17 Hornet cases tight i had to spend another hr or so picking,cleaning the cases out with some fine wire. 

Thank you Mark

I've never been impressed by the tumblers.always thought they were crap until I put a tea spoon full of brasso in first then left to mix in for a few minutes before I put the brass in.you will get sparkling brass out after in half the time.the necks are gleaming as the rest of the case.

I use a medium grit corn cob media bought from Ebay which seems to be the best compromise between cleaning/polishing.  I occasionally add a very small amount of brasso (you don't need much) and the cases come out like new.   I tried Walnut media but it didn't seem to clean as well.

I've mentioned this before but probably worth restating. To really extend the life of the media, getting the lube off cases before you tumble them makes a big difference. I put them in a soft fabric bag (I actually use the full sleeve of a brushed cotton shirt tied off at one end) and pour about 2T of turps down where the brass is. Give it a good random rocking stir-about for ~20 secs and it takes the lube off the cases.

2 minutes ago, Chris-NZ said:

I've mentioned this before but probably worth restating. To really extend the life of the media, getting the lube off cases before you tumble them makes a big difference. I put them in a soft fabric bag (I actually use the full sleeve of a brushed cotton shirt tied off at one end) and pour about 2T of turps down where the brass is. Give it a good random rocking stir-about for ~20 secs and it takes the lube off the cases.

Thank you Chris , i normally tumble them first before any lube gets on them .

Archived