So is the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser worth the money?

chaz

As above folks, is the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser worth the money? Even if 40% off retail?

I'm after some construction opinions on the above. Preferably from people who have used them???

Opinions appreciated.

Cheers

Chaz

Hi I have the Hornady lock and load powder dispenser. I have no bad issues with it only small issue it doesn’t like fine powder for instance H335 which I call fine powder 

No issues with mine, I particularly like the ability to be able to customise the slow trickle speed (not just using the lo -med-hi options) and be able to alter the point it cuts in at in .2gr decrements by the simple hold of a button.

If you know anyone going over to the US Amazon.com and Walmart have them for $169 :)

I do know someone who works both here and in the US. But wouldn't he/me get charged import tax and vat? It would probably still be a bargain though...

Cheers Folks.

Chaz

• 2 weeks later...

Well i bought the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Charge Powder Dispenser. All in all i'm happy with it. Especially when they're reduced from nearly £400 down to £207 delivered!  You can also guarantee it will drop most loads .1 grains light, even with the straw adaption. Which is a pain. And is sooo slow when dropping it's last kernel or 2.  I've clearly been spoilt by a tuned RCBS 505. Especially when using a camera showing my loads hugely magnified and the 1066 level pointer that 1 kernel made a big difference on my tuned 505's......  ?

I did manage to contact 'Rosie' Bradders. Rosie was a great help. She sent me a pair of her used 'draws' (in an air-tight wrapping), to calibrate my new scales. They were 'bang' on! ? Right down to the last drop! I mean kernel!!

I'm so uncouth at times. Sorry mods... Please go easy on me...☂️

• 4 weeks later...

I have one which is good for a batch of large loads where you are dispensing 40+ grains, i.e. 6.5 X 55 or .243 it is not so good for .223 with a small charge of 25 grains, it tends to over run frequently which is a pain. The large charges are handled very well, quick and precise when checked against a beam scale. My view is that if you are loading a lot of bigger charges then it is a fast, accurate and cost effective tool. For .223 I use a Lee Perfect which works well and is sufficiently accurate for my requirements. 

Worth speaking with Dve at the Shooting Shed.  He's designed and can run you up a screw in instert for the end which improves accuracy and consistency.  He did one for my Gen6 which improved it no end but it'll still throw a 40 grain charge in under 20 seconds

On 7/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, VarmLR said:

Worth speaking with Dve at the Shooting Shed.  He's designed and can run you up a screw in instert for the end which improves accuracy and consistency.  He did one for my Gen6 which improved it no end but it'll still throw a 40 grain charge in under 20 seconds

Cheers VarmLR. Will do, Much appreciated.

:)

As said give Dave a shout, the one shown on his website is my photo of the first trial version fitted to my own Hornady, works very well indeed.

Also as I mentioned earlier try adjusting the cut-in point for the final slow trickle, it helps with over-throws of ball powders etc..   After setting your charge weight press and hold the "MODE" button, it'll start showing an increasing figure in 0.2gr steps, for stuff like Ramshot I set it to 0.4 or 0.6gr.

Archived