FCSA Update

ruger7717

11 minutes ago, ruger7717 said:

Bullying??...with regards to inaccuracy what are we talking about?.The .50s or the MARS or the lever-release?

If people want to plink away at targets with their chosen rifles well good for them!

Bullying?

Yes, you're trying to force me into an opinion that suits your  agenda, same as the wording in the missive from your Chairman regarding other HME frearms

My comments are related directly to lever and trigger release rifles, which are sh*t

You don't know the first thing about me, yet feel compelled to cast an opinion of which you have no right as you don't know what my involvement may or may not be in any of this, but I was there at the instigation of the FCSA when the late and great Pete Bloom started it at Radnor in the late 90s

32658809_10216409126011518_5480958829015

Me and Pete Bloom

So keep your opinions about me to yourself and voice any complaints towards Mr S Rogers and Mr R Clarke for creating these contraptions in the full knowledge they were knowingly poking the HO bear when they brought them out and giving shooters some hope, coz if like me you've had firearms seized by the FSS in the past for test and evaluation regarding their legal status....you have no idea what the hell you're talking about

As far as the MARS is concerned, it looks to me as though some bright spark set out specifically to exploit the regulations by designing something that would have all the attributes of a semi, without actually being one.

This type of reaction to a regulation can be counter-productive when the gov. holds all the cards, especially when said firearm is capable of rapid fire but demonstrates poor accuracy........

Someone, probably wearing a charcoal grey suit, in some office somewhere is bound to ask the question "Why on earth would a target shooter want one of these?"

I don't know the answer, either...................

The 50bmg is a different kettle of fish altogether. It has long range precision target shooting potential, and a very dedicated, if small, band of enthusiasts who can be recognised by the huge dent in either the left or right shoulder......

Pete

Sorry Bradders, our paths crossed in cyberspace........

Pete

Mark, I have nothing but respect for you!, I'm not trying to force you into anything!!!yes I know that when the fellas developed the MARS & Lever lease thay was pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable by law!.....BUT it is lawful to own these firearms!...we should as a community be looking to protect those who lawfully own them.

8 hours ago, ruger7717 said:

Mark, I have nothing but respect for you!, I'm not trying to force you into anything!!!yes I know that when the fellas developed the MARS & Lever lease thay was pushing the boundaries of what was acceptable by law!.....BUT it is lawful to own these firearms!...we should as a community be looking to protect those who lawfully own them.

I have no problem with anything you say and am man enough to take any criticism...

Im going to leave this here as I don’t wish to get drawn into making any public comment about the mechanisms in these firearms

Same happened after SLR ban, and before the pistol ban ,a company called Australian arms came out with the   Semi- automatic pistol "SAP" .223 pistol ,as I remember it was based on an AR180,12" barrel ,no butt stock but rear of action was dovetailed to accept a butt stock which was offered at extra cost as an accessory , it didn't take long before they realised what was going on and due to the new legislation which had a clause for the Home Secretary to ban certain weapons similar to those banned without the need to go through parliament . 

IMG_2329.PNG

I understand people’s view points on these firearms.

.50 being an accurate long range target rifle, but at the same time MARS/LR tho not as acurate as a bolt or straight pull have never been used in crime along with .50s.

we shouldn’t be in the argument of well it’s ok to keep .50s we see the justification but the other two are a fad that shouldn’t have been allowed because they are close to being restricted as section5.

They were approved as section 1, nothing has changed there and nothing should.

semi auto shotguns with slug/sg9 rounds or lever action can be fired just as fast and would be just as deadly at close ranges. Are we going to throw those under the bus as well. 

There is nothing wrong with those firearms when in the hands of law abiding FAC holders.

will we ban LB Pistols as if I was a criminal would I not chop off the rod to make it more concealable, so should we ban those as well for the reason of maybe a criminal will get hold of one and maybe he will chop it off.

Yes .50 is dangerous but seriously unless you have trained on that particular rifle your going to be limited in effectively employing it and especially at long range.

if a MARS/ LR was stolen are they any more dangerous than any other section 1 used within the effective or realistic ranges that they would be used at. Again I go back to section one shotguns and lever action.

if they could use the extra range you would have on LR/ MARS the inaccuracy that people state  they have starts to put that argument into question.

Any of the firearms we use under section1 are lethal, just as lethal as any other.

all this BS of outgunning the police etc is theoretical. 

If terry terrorist steals your .50/MARS/LR there would be a massive man hunt. Terry would have no where to train and therefore wouldn’t be able to employ it more effectively than any other section1.

If they did attack, the police/CT police assisted by SF would have overwhelming firepower if needed.

In the time between the authorities getting there and Terry doing damage, haveing the above firearms would not aid them any more than any other firearms stolen from FAC holders

The main threat is from illegally smuggled in firearms which would be far more sensible for Terry to do as the entire country wouldn’t be hunting for them.

we need to stop this attitude within the shooting community of well let’s let them take this and we will be ok.

yes you will for a while, then they say hang on what about the shotguns, wait maybe .22 semis god they can store 1000s of rounds think how much damage you could do. Yes it might be .22 but it still kills and you can carry a lot of it.

im not getting into the argument of one ban leads to another or doesn’t but I’m looking at the history of our firearms acts and well once it goes you aren’t getting it back it’s simple as that.

Totally agree with your points ref.the illegal weapons especially, the point is they know all this, and also know the threat from legally held firearms of any type is minuscule, but I don't feel those who are vehemently "anti" don't care about the facts  and are not interested in fact based argument, only their own agenda which is niether true or fair .. 

And your excellent summation is the whole point of the OPs post and  follow up commentary.

Supporting each other regardless of our calibre / gun-style preferences is surely a good thing.

We need to come together more.

The organisations representing us need to be more open and have open dialogue with the community before and during negotions with HO/ police etc.

you never know maybe one day after realising  the hand gun ban did nothing they will let us have them back. 

Watching out for the overhead pigs!

Nice thought though!

Nice to see a more positive approach in the last few posts on this thread! Well said chaps.

i don't own a .50 or a MARS but I'll be sending another letter to my MP because the approach of banning something based on a lack of evidence is wrong. 

What needs reinforcing is that all firearms are inanimate objects of zero threat until picked up and used improperly . 

18 hours ago, bradders said:

They're plinky plonky because they're crap.

i've yet to see a target big enough for them to do their levels of inaccuracy some justice, but if people want to part with their wonga on something that makes them shoot and miss even faster then that's fine with me

That did make me giggle ?

Well that's an FOI into the Home Office. Poor b*gger will struggle to get that back within the 20 days. For the nosey amongst you previous FOI responses can be found here. You can see some real pedantic sods have been grinding their axes.

Archived