Glass wearers

drum

I have just been for an eye test and have been told i need glasses to read with,which i was expecting .My distance vision is very good still.Thankfully.Now my question is will this have an affect on my abillity to get a good focus on the reticle against the target? Ive been finding it harder recently to get the parralax pin sharp on any of my scopes.

Paul

I will mention it to him.The problem i seem to be having is getting everything in focus really.Either all my scopes are all of a sudden faulty or my eyes are.

By the sounds of it you're far sighted, as in you need glasses for close up (reading, knitting etc). If so I'm the same but I actually wear my glasses all the time as I've found it helps my long vision anyway. 

Ive not found any issues with picking up the reticle since wearing glasses. I have a S&B PMII and it's crystal clear. 

I suspect you need to adjust your ocular ring in addition to the parallax. The ocular is the eye piece nearest your eye and it's this that will sharpen up the image through the scope and bring your reticle into focus. If you now wear glasses, undoubtedly this will be thing you need to adjust to account for the change in your vision.

One other consideration is the fact that you'll need to let your eyes get used to wearing glasses. Your vision will likely look a little weird for the first couple of weeks (depending on how strong the prescription is) but then you'll end up forgetting you're even wearing glasses. 

Ive spent time fiddleing with the eye piece and parralax and still find it hard to get a clear ,in focus,reticle against the target.This is on four different scopes.I think i need to accept that glasses are probably worth a try.

Drum,

I'm in the same boat, have needed glasses to read for the last few years, but distance vision very good.   As Catch 22 says, just adjust the ocular to suit your current vision so the reticle is sharp against a blank background, that's what the ocular is for, then if you have parallax correction you then focus the image onto the reticle so there's no apparent shift.  I don't think you should be adjusting the ocular against the target as your eye will be trying to jump between the reticle and target.  I shoot every week and don't use glasses,  

Richard.

It depends on your reading glasses prescription Paul, most ocular diopters on scopes will only do +/- 2 at best which will only cover those with a prescription within that range, otherwise you will need to wear glasses while shooting.

A trip to the optician again for some glasses and to explain to them what you do with telescopic sights should solve your problem.

Big Al is correct,,,most scopes will only do correction +/- 2,,,,,are you at this limit on your scopes at the moment?.....Some scopes will adjust for +/- 3 even 4 in some. Maybe an expensive solution but perhaps change scope that allows this. My eyes are both at +2 and some scopes have presented a problem for me particularly Leupolds for some reason.I am fortunate enough to have all NF scopes and they offer loads of adjustment both the fast focus and lockable versions. If it were me I would definitely want the scope to do all the correction,,,glasses would be a pain ,,,,,,,Optician may be able to suggest contacts on a daily use basis? Hope you sort it,,, ,,,O

Forgive me if I don't understand, but I shoot with glasses and have zero problem seeing the reticle, the target or actually hitting a target out to 1200m. Shooting with glasses isn't difficult at all. The difficult bit is reading the wind. 

Id just jump in, get yourself some glasses and enjoy seeing the target again. ?

just started using glasses to read with and got away without proper glasses to shoot with until i got eyes tested and prescription for normal sight is +0.5 for far stuff and +2 for reading .Using varifocals can be making a problem in that once adjusted for a clear reticle if I move my head a little the bottom part of the ret goes blurry ( small lens area normal day glasses ) so got same prescription in some shooting glasses more like aviator style and as theres more glass area the varifocal  is over a bigger glass area so a bit less pronounced area of change in magnification  . was thinking a more simple pair of glasses with +0.5 top area and + 2 bottom part would be the best compromise .hope this is of use

The problem with that is when you're lined up along the butt looking through the scope, you're using the upper portion of spec lenses. Having to hold your head way up isn't what you need..

6 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

The problem with that is when you're lined up along the butt looking through the scope, you're using the upper portion of spec lenses. Having to hold your head way up isn't what you need..

You can get specially designed shooting frames to cater for this, such as the Zeiss shooting frames that have an adjustable bridge that allow the glasses to sit higher.

Prescription-Shooting-Glasses-630x400.jp

The fact remains though that shooters are very complacent when it comes to wearing glasses when shooting, even safety glasses, considering you have in the region of 55.000 psi waiting to go off approx 4" or so from your seeing organs!

7 hours ago, Chris-NZ said:

Ah, I guess that's one of the reasons why all my rifles wear adjustable cheekpieces - with one adjusted properly you get a perfect sight picture. If you're craning your head to get the sight picture you need, the stock/sights aren't working for you.

I do take the point about varifocal lenses. If your glasses are split like that, then I can understand the hassle of needing to looking through only a specific area of the lens. I don't have varifocals, so don't have this issue. My advice to the OP would be to NOT get varifocals, or at least get two pairs, varifocals for everyday (if that's what his prescription requires) and a second set without varifocals setup to allow him to shoot with them on.

Archived