65x47 cases

Furyan

Im having trouble with some lapua  cases that where neck sized by previous rifle owner, I have tried to full length size them as the  bolt will  not close with  these cases. i have bought a set of redding competition case holder

to see if that would sort it but no .

I have measured them against once fired cases and i cant find much if any difference .

Help please or do i just bin them

Furyan,

You could turn the die down a bit more so it cams over as you raise the handle which may be just enough or try a different shell holder/grind down the top of the one you've got which is obviously a one way ride.  you could also get a small base die if they are available in your calibre.

Richard.

You may want to first trim the brass to SAMMI spec if it's too long and check that the top of the die isn't screwed in too deeply. Sometimes the brass won't get fully resized because the mouth of the case is contacting the internal top of the die and so the base isn't being full resized.

Id say that if this fails, try a different die.

I believe the rifle was built to min spec (in April 2012) suggest you may need to adjust the die to bump the shoulder so the bolt closes with ease (with firing pin removed)

If there are signs on the brass that the base of the case is oversize (witness marks) you might need a small base die.

I can’t recall without looking in records if the chamber is a tight neck - though I doubt as I built several for the then owner all no turn spec (I think) 

- if the brass came with the rifle, measure the neck wall thickness (circa .012” will be tight neck)

2 hours ago, Scotch_egg said:

If it’s the Sako 75 I think it is it was built by Ronin. 

Am i also right you have had issues before with brass in the rifle? 

yes i have had some trouble with brass but its the same brass which i found in the back of the shed

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I believe the rifle was built to min spec (in April 2012) suggest you may need to adjust the die to bump the shoulder so the bolt closes with ease (with firing pin removed)

If there are signs on the brass that the base of the case is oversize (witness marks) you might need a small base die.

I can’t recall without looking in records if the chamber is a tight neck - though I doubt as I built several for the then owner all no turn spec (I think) 

- if the brass came with the rifle, measure the neck wall thickness (circa .012” will be tight neck)

Hi sorry i forgot it was your build , all the info i got was he used a neck bushing die with a .288 bush , Many thanks for all the advice and replys

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

Ok 

im sure the commissioning owner didn’t specify a tight neck (I can check my records but it may take a while as I’ve built a load of rifles since 2012)

When the owner took possession of it I was sent many images of success”s achieved for the ridle primary purpose and numerous targets which displayed single hole accuracy so I’m pretty certain the issue is not with the rifle.

id suggest either buying new brass (the old brass if it’s the same will be now 6yrs old and possibly fired many times) or stripping out the firing pin and spring then slowly adjusting the full length sizing due until you can close the bolt with a little finger (no pressure)

Id also check the brass has not gained length and preventing bolt closure due to needing trimming - perhaps check this first and trim all or some cases to saami or cip length.

If you were closer to me I’d offer to help with setting up the dues or even assisting with reloading as I think this may be the issue.

Hope this helps

Is the brass hard to extract 

If so possible expansion at base if case = body die 

If cannot close bolt - 

mechanical obstruction in chamber or bolt 

(if bolt closes on empty chamber scrum this possibility)

Brass too long

Brass not sized sufficiently 

Either of these will cause bolt not to close 

Gary had numerous 6.5x47 rifles so there is a possibility the brass was not shot through this rifle. 

Also Gary attended one of Tiff’s shoots during some adverse weather conditions his top end loads caused over pressure issues. 

Have you been shooting the rifle with new brass without trouble since it’s a long time since you posted about this issue previously I would like to thinn the rifle hasn’t sat untouched.

my guess is the brasses is scrap and you should cut your losses. It isn’t the chamber. 

2 hours ago, Ronin said:

Is the brass hard to extract 

If so possible expansion at base if case = body die 

If cannot close bolt - 

mechanical obstruction in chamber or bolt 

(if bolt closes on empty chamber scrum this possibility)

Brass too long

Brass not sized sufficiently 

Either of these will cause bolt not to close 

bolt will not close , bolt closes with new an once fired cases, brass  all trimmed the same  i have run the die  down a  to the ram then another 1/4 turn  still no go .?

will wait till body die turns up. ill be buggered if i know.

51 minutes ago, Scotch_egg said:

Gary had numerous 6.5x47 rifles so there is a possibility the brass was not shot through this rifle. 

Also Gary attended one of Tiff’s shoots during some adverse weather conditions his top end loads caused over pressure issues. 

Have you been shooting the rifle with new brass without trouble since it’s a long time since you posted about this issue previously I would like to thinn the rifle hasn’t sat untouched.

my guess is the brasses is scrap and you should cut your losses. It isn’t the chamber. 

Ha i didnt know this i have used some new and a odd old ones that did fit , you dont happen to know the data he used for the over pressure loads .

when i got the rifle i got some data with it which i still use , to be honest i havent used it a great deal. And i nearly sold it due to lack of use but having just got a job on 6000 acers of land which covers 14 farms its well needed now .:-).

I use cci450 / 38grn of varget / 123grn....  its a 1-8.5 twist .

if i need to change any components then so be it help needed long varmin / normal deer ranges .

I can’t recall the exact data. It was varget and I am sure over 38gr. The issue arose because the round and chamber got wet. It may not have been this rifle that was shot through. I’m speculating that this is the brass as it would be a reasonable explanation for the excessive expansion. 

There will be. thread on here discussing the issue with all the data and the exact rifle. It is just a matter of searching. 

Is it a sako 75, Sako 591 or Stiller Predator 

Ok

standard chamber, no turn neck.

Headspaced at go guage plus .002”

Run out on chamber .0003” (three tenthousandth of an inch )

Barrel is Lothar Walther 

• 4 weeks later...

The rifle that Gary had pressure issues with at rrc was the tac30 aw in the sentinel stock, benchmark barrel. His sako was long gone before that arrived so not same brass. His load on that day was 38gn varget, 123 amax which was best load in the sako. As the benchmark bore was .0002 tighter than the LW that load turned out to be too hot. The load for the new rifle ended up as 39gn n150. Since then Gary shot an R8 in 6.5x47 lap as well as many other calibres. He has now retired from abusing armchair warriors and spends most of his time trying to solve world hunger, as well as shooting stuff. He still regards Ronin as one of the country’s finest rifle builders (second only to James Clarke), and remains eternally regretful for argueing with Brown Dog over the inherrant safety of the Blaser rifle system. He sends his regards to you all...

Archived