Northern Shooting Show at Harrogate.

Was at the shooting show today at Harrogate and enjoyed the day.   Met a few old faces and enjoyed the craic and the sunshine.

Here is the only photo I took today showing 3 suspicious characters from Diggle (Jeanette Whitney,  Vince Bottomley (Gun Pimp) and Tony Lenton.    Also Alan Maughan visited the show for the day so had him on the stand for a while.    I liked some of the 50 calibre rifles on show and a few other things,  so worth a visit.

20180513_075607.jpg

10 minutes ago, meles meles said:

Oh indeedy ! We were there on a stand too and think it's developing into a great show ! Saw some crackin' kit from Devon Custom Rifles amongst others...

So pleased I didn't see you run over by Vince's 4x4 and stuck on his front tyres!  Which stand were you on?   

Plus I could have sworn there was badger meat on a stick for sale,  and I thought........... No!

We are thinking of having a stand there next year. How would you describe it in terms of size compared to the British Shooting Show and customer base. Many thanks.

It's a little smaller than the British Shooting Show, but very much focused on shooting rather than more generic associated pursuits. No stands selling dogfood, cuckoo clocks or tartan blankets. It occupied 4 halls but the organiser chose to space the stands out and use wide aisles and so it was actually easy get around and see stuff without being crushed. A very pleasant experience for visitor and exhibitor alike in our view. Highlights to us were:

1. Seven police forces present on site and issuing on the spot variations. If you saw something snazzy, you could go get a variation and buy it there and then.

2. Very focussed on shooting rather than generic country activity

3. Opportunities to try shooting on the site: clay pigeons, air rifles, firearms

All in all, an excellent show and growing every year.

Thank you, that is excellent feedback. I think next year we will have to manage to do the show. The main issue for us that we are traditionally rammed with courses in May. In theory it’s only 2 days but with travel and set up etc it will be a week gone but it sounds like it is focused to the groups that we want to attract. Many thanks again.

My son and myself had two half days at the show . We had also been to the Brit Shooting show.

I liked the Northern show much better. Plenty stands with venison to eat or try. All more country orientated.

Much more space in the halls. Optics could be field tested, at least some of them. We met Vince for the first time, the Form guys and old friends like John from DCR with a fine display, John Dean from Aim, Bently from Vortex, Jason Doyle,  finally met Andy Mass (Ronin) face to face + a few more.

Overall I thought it was a bit "classier" and people seemed more relaxed or happier than at the NEC show. Weather was fantastic which helps of course. Lucky to get a fantastic room in Harrogate at very reasonable rates.

edi

Dave, the Northern Shooting Show was excellent. Well laid out show halls, plenty of space along the aisles, lots of parking, and "type" grouped together or it seemed to be - shotguns, clays, air rifle, centrerfire in separate areas.

I certainly enjoyed my visit, I spent a couple of hours in the main hall speaking to exhibitors with whom I had an interest.

Was a really good event, I managed to get a look at the new 45 power S&B and the Leupold 5-25 with 34 mm tube, both extremely good optics in their own right.

Also saw the new E Lite Hunter stock from PSE (on the DCR stand), the stock is so light and retains the rigidity and strength of the E Tac - should be a consideration for anyone wanting to upgrade their T3, im told they will be available for Rem 700 and clone actions soon too.

Good to see Vince and Jeanette on the Benchrest Association stand, though didnt get to speak to them as they were busy talking to others when I passed the stand. Great to finaly meet with Edi who ive dealt with for years and hope to do so for many more.

Its an event I will re visit next year.

16 hours ago, meles meles said:

It's a little smaller than the British Shooting Show, but very much focused on shooting rather than more generic associated pursuits. No stands selling dogfood, cuckoo clocks or tartan blankets. It occupied 4 halls but the organiser chose to space the stands out and use wide aisles and so it was actually easy get around and see stuff without being crushed. A very pleasant experience for visitor and exhibitor alike in our view. Highlights to us were:

1. Seven police forces present on site and issuing on the spot variations. If you saw something snazzy, you could go get a variation and buy it there and then.

2. Very focussed on shooting rather than generic country activity

3. Opportunities to try shooting on the site: clay pigeons, air rifles, firearms

All in all, an excellent show and growing every year.

Have to agree ,it was my first nss, and I will be going again next year,

I have been to the bss. And won't be going again, 

Archived