Practical rifle comp Norwich 1980,s

Villadave59

Hi,does anyone remember these shoots at Horsford range Norwich ,it was shot over 2days the first day was a two man team shoot which involved engaging a static target at 500 mtr which would drop when hit triggering two moving targets which traversed the width of the butts,filled by two target backer with 3 targets on each which once hit would drop ,you then ran to 400,300,200 and 100mtr with targets needing head box and body to stop the clock,really good day and great bunch of characters.

day 2 was individual comp same distances but compulsory 3 position shooting from 300 sitting 200 kneeling finally standing at 100 the organiser RO was a really nice guy Karl freeman,would love to hear from anyone who remembers Dave ..

I shot at the PR matches at Horsford, the first one I did was in the mid 80's, and then I did most of the annual matches in the 90's that were part of the PR national league.

I only got to shoot the 2 man 'Turkey run' once though.

Hi bolthead probably shot at the same shoots ,there were around 8 or 9 of us from the Isle of Wight including two lads who were amputees, one of them was ex para who lost his leg in the falklands war, who still managed the "turkey run" his team mate ran with both rifles while he filled in the back of a transit and joined him on the firing point to carry on ,talk about spirit! 

They were great weekends culminating with curry nights in Norwich with a terrific group of blokes .. was your team name TEAM HK by any chance? I think they shot in the pr league and I rember them

I think Team HK was Adrian Bull's team. I shot with an M1A back then, but only did the individual match on the Sunday. I didn't get to do the turkey run until the mid 90s.

Adrian's team was him and his wife Sandra bull,I think they were called the "Biryani rifles" my claim to fame was we managed to beat them in the turkey run once which was quite something as they almost always won both team and individual pr .

my rifle then was an HK33(.223) with a khales zf84 scope ,the Q.D HK mount was beautifully made I still have one,my team mate also HK33 but had hensoldt 4x25 scope ,I have a friend from back then who now shoots CSR  ,I hope to get a go at that this year he's told me it's great fun,when funds allow I hope to get a used straight pull AR based rifle..

3 hours ago, Villadave59 said:

Adrian's team was him and his wife Sandra bull,I think they were called the "Biryani rifles" my claim to fame was we managed to beat them in the turkey run once which was quite something as they almost always won both team and individual pr .

my rifle then was an HK33(.223) with a khales zf84 scope ,the Q.D HK mount was beautifully made I still have one,my team mate also HK33 but had hensoldt 4x25 scope ,I have a friend from back then who now shoots CSR  ,I hope to get a go at that this year he's told me it's great fun,when funds allow I hope to get a used straight pull AR based rifle..

Who is that then? ?

On 5/11/2018 at 10:44 AM, Villadave59 said:

Hi bolthead probably shot at the same shoots ,there were around 8 or 9 of us from the Isle of Wight including two lads who were amputees, one of them was ex para who lost his leg in the falklands war, who still managed the "turkey run" his team mate ran with both rifles while he filled in the back of a transit and joined him on the firing point to carry on ,talk about spirit! 

They were great weekends culminating with curry nights in Norwich with a terrific group of blokes .. was your team name TEAM HK by any chance? I think they shot in the pr league and I rember them

Yes, missing a limb does not make you less adept at shooting, you just have to improvise, adapt and overcome.  Here's a vid of a buddy making it work...

As the video is titled, "Your excuses are invalid".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5zxKEPx8Ss

4 hours ago, MarinePMI said:

Yes, missing a limb does not make you less adept at shooting, you just have to improvise, adapt and overcome.  Here's a vid of a buddy making it work...

As the video is titled, "Your excuses are invalid".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5zxKEPx8Ss

Total respect to your buddy  ,love the cursing at one dropped shot! We all knew my friend could shoot but there was no way he was Going  to miss out on the run down and fair play to the organisers for finding a way to help him compete on a level with every one else

• 1 month later...

Archived