6.5 Creedmoor v 6.5 Swede

Moorlander

Apologies if its been asked/done before , so with regards to 6.5 Creedmoor v 6.5 Swede , what advantages does one have over the other ? is the Creedmoor a fad thats no better than the Swede ? has the Creedmoor only taken off due to the Yanks liking it as it fits AR10s?

Good question. I am sure someone will pick up where gbal would have with the full story but,...

As far as I can see the Creed uses a 'standard' 308 bolt face whereas the Swede is an oddball. Otherwise there isn't much in it. Bit less powder capacity in the Creed; similar performance.  Depends how fine you like to split your hairs really.

The core benefits of the Creedmoor, in addition to Chanonry's point,  is the ability to load those long slender 140g+ bullets to optimum length (e.g. Not deep in the powder column) and feed reliably from a detachable mag (e.g. AICS) all from a short action.

With the Swede you need a long action which isn't quite as popular nowadays. And if you do use a long action, there are potentially other more potent cartridges at your disposal which may be a better choice. 

I don't own a Creedmoor but I do shoot 6.5x47. In reality, there really isn't much between the .260rem, 6.5x47, 6.5 Swede and 6.5mm Creedmoor. Each have their own unique pros and cons, but they're all very similar. I'd say pick one, learn how to use it and be happy with your choice - you can't really go wrong with any of them. 

I have a 6.5 Creedmoor.  I absolutely love it despite have a Mauser M12 Impact in .308 previously which was a superb rifle.  As Catch stated, the Swede is a long action which is no deal breaker but there is more of a choice of ammunition in 6.5x55 in the UK compared to the Creedmoor.  The question is how much choice do you need when 142gn SMK's shoot onto one ragged hole at 100 yards, Hornady 143ELD - X  shoot into 0.6MOA and Norma Match similar.  Recoil is negligible.  Better mousetrap comes to mind.  Personally, I'm happy with my decision and the confidence it gives me in my shooting.

The Swede’s a 122 year old design and still pretty darn good but as folks have said long action and slightly different bolt face does not make it great for tacticool rifles.

the 6.5 Creed is a relatively new cartridge so can look back at all of its predecessors and do better in theory 

I shoot a 6.5x47 and have done since it came out, must be over 10 years ago? Would I choose the Creed now, for new build possibly, rebarrel no, no real advantage. 

None of these cartridges will let you down, if you miss it would be ‘you’ missing :)

Terry

Swede using modern Scan loadings can match or exceed CM velocities and makes for an excellent long range rifle for target or plinking.  Brass is generally cheaper. CM as previous posters point out benefits from short action and ability to load bullets closer to lands and stay within mag length.  With SR primers, CM can also be loaded quite hot (in theory up to 62K psi) but I've found that velocities have been lower for equivalents loads between LR and SR brass.

CM also benefits from a steeper shoulder angle, so say improving concentricity and hence accuracy potential.  It probably can't be loaded just quite to the same MVs as is possible with 6.5 x 55 but is is a relatively efficient cartridge.  As above, most 6.5's are pretty much on a par, with most of us mortal shootists probably not able to discern or gain much more benefit from one over another in terms of accuracy.

On 5/10/2018 at 6:36 PM, MarinePMI said:

It's also worth mentioning that the 6.5 CM is now being adopted by US SOCOM, so it's existence is assured to not be just "a fad".

6.8 SPC didn't seem to last

Archived