Amazing group!

Tralle

I just wanted to bring this to peoples attention as i haven't seen it posted here yet.

5 rounds 600 yards 0.282" !!

bart28200.jpg

Though i must say i am a bit dissapointed that it is not x-10's :lol:

Link to article

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A similar group was posted a year or two back . Is it a recently shot? Impressive is an understatement - hard at 200 let lone 600 . Atb

Yep - shot a couple of weeks ago - in competition - by Bart Sauter. 

Bart is a well know US benchrest shooter who also makes his own bullets. 

The group was shot with Bart's 105gn 6mm bullets, the cartridge is the 6BRA - as Big Al recently covered on this forum. Powder was Hodgdon H4895.

2 minutes ago, meles meles said:

Ah, we sees. Best to miss the target precisely than hit it accurately ?  :)

Correct, all about the gun....not the shooter

It's a shooting discipline I've never quite managed to get my head around :huh:

2 hours ago, bradders said:

Correct, all about the gun....not the shooter

So the gun makes its own wind calls, aims itself and sends its own 5 shots down to the target very precisely in barely 20 seconds or less? 

2 hours ago, bradders said:

It's a shooting discipline I've never quite managed to get my head around :huh:

I would say most experienced long range benchrest shooters would agree with you, clearly you dont have a scooby about the subtleties that can separate winners from the rest.

6 minutes ago, Big Al said:

So the gun makes its own wind calls, aims itself and sends its own 5 shots down to the target very precisely in barely 20 seconds or less? 

I would say most experienced long range benchrest shooters would agree with you, clearly you dont have a scooby about the subtleties that can separate winners from the rest.

Anywhere on the target is ok as long as the group is small, but a discipline where you plant a heavy gun on  a heavy bench, barely touch it and hope for the best is....well, let's leave it there

No able bodied person should be resorting to that until forced to :lol:

1 hour ago, bradders said:

Anywhere on the target is ok as long as the group is small, but a discipline where you plant a heavy gun on  a heavy bench, barely touch it and hope for the best is....well, let's leave it there

Like I said, you clearly dont have a scooby so probably best you leave it there...

All joking aside.i know br is about shooting small groups at short and long range but it would in most peoples opinions be so much better if the group was in the x ring.

9 hours ago, No i deer said:

All joking aside.i know br is about shooting small groups at short and long range but it would in most peoples opinions be so much better if the group was in the x ring.

The fact the group isn't in the x ring would only matter to those who dont understand long range benchrest and its own set of challenges. Vince has already pointed out the issues in trying to do that and how impossible it would be as we can't see our bullet holes anyway.

We get sighters before the group shooting starts to ensure we are centralised on the target. Once competitive shooting starts we have 5 mins to fire our 5 shots, in that time I will be watching the wind flags and trying my best to anticipate a stable condition that will last for long enough to get 5 shots away within that condition. Im not looking for the same condition the sighter was fired under just a stable one that hasn't changed so much as to blow me off the target completely. A 1mph wind change either side of the mean at 600yds is enough to blow your group into the 4" range without factoring in natural load dispersion or shooter error.

Every shooting discipline has different challenges, it would be no more realistic to expect long range bench resters to be hitting the x ring consistently than it would be for Bradders to run down his field carrying a 50lb heavy gun and shooting it from various unsupported positions at his type of CSR target.

Lets dispel the myth that benchrest guns are all 50lb monsters on rails as well, in the UK very few fall into this category and non are on rails. Half of a typical UKBRA field will be made up of sub 17lb light guns which shoot groups just as small as heavy gun, many can be potent cartridges where recoil management and shooters skill is required. Then there will be many heavy guns under 22lb with only a few of the big heavies in the field, so far these big heavies havent proved to be significantly better than the rest of the field in terms of small group shooting, they just do your back in more carrying them to the firing point! 

Each to their own I say! :)

I understand Al but many wouldnt.ive read up plenty on it and follow ukbra results and say well done on great shooting.its definately not Bradders type of shooting.as you said Al everybody to their own.

Oh we appreciates the skill involved in getting such a precise group, from the gunsmith that made it all the way through to the person that squeezed the trigger.  It's a better group than we have ever managed, or are likely to. It's just that to us, hitting what we are shooting at matters too. It reminds us of another image that went around a while ago - a nice tiny group in the kill zone of a hostage and not a shot on the assailant in a police type training target.

:)

On 5/7/2018 at 2:38 PM, GT3_richy said:

Bet Al's regretting building a 6BRA now...

No regrets here, its a great little round and has done well for me so far.

Im waiting on an action for my next long range BR project and again it will be chambered in 6BRA ??

5 hours ago, meles meles said:

Oh we appreciates the skill involved in getting such a precise group, from the gunsmith that made it all the way through to the person that squeezed the trigger.  It's a better group than we have ever managed, or are likely to. It's just that to us, hitting what we are shooting at matters too. It reminds us of another image that went around a while ago - a nice tiny group in the kill zone of a hostage and not a shot on the assailant in a police type training target.

:)

Well, I'm pretty sure the guy put his crosshair centre of the X ring when he shot that group. Looks like he missed by about one and a half inches - which is not bad at 600 yards.......

I think you should come and try our Egg Shoot badger - it's a bit nearer - 500 yds - and show us some real skill.

I'm not sure I understand the 'downer' here. The chap has shot a group at 600 that most only occasionally achieve at 100.  (Certainly,  I know, when I shoot sub 0.3 moa at 100m, I'm at 'as good as it gets' for me)

If people are seeing an element of luck to Sauter's achievement... well, Sauter seems to have a multi-year track record of being repeatedly lucky, then! :D

I can't claim to fully understand benchrest results. Assuming I've found the right ones, perhaps someone could translate. Reads to me as though he's routinely sub 2" at 600 and this record is indeed the 'boaster'  (a term I think I remember from my old 'Precision Shooting' subscription!).  I think it's safe to say that Sauter is the architect of his own 'luck'.

Screenshot_20180509-071927.thumb.png.01b2d74a6ff600fc9f037f413921d7f9.png

Screenshot_20180509-073451.thumb.png.6bb22b0662dc5dd7e2fd331294b279d3.png

Archived