Additional Data for Lovex Powders

Laurie

For people who are thinking of trying the Czech Lovex powder range, I've found a new data source. (Exlosia's guide is good, but is heavily weighted towards European sporting rifle loads. So, many popular US originating cartridges such as the 6.5 Creedmoor are missing , and even where data is provided for popular US numbers such as 308 and 30-06,  many of the bullets and cases used to generate data aren't common choices here. This guide can downloaded from https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2016/11/reloading_Lovex_EN.pdf )

An American shooting supply company Shooters World (https://shootersworldsc.com) has been importing Lovex powders into the USA for some time and renaming / labeling them under its  own 'Americanised' names. For example, Lovex SO65 becomes Shooters World Long Rifle and SO62 is renamed Precision.

I've just noticed that Shooters World has commissioned proper loads pressure testing and has its own online reloading manual either available from the Shooters World home page or directly in pdf file form as:

Shooters World Loading Manual

Note the date of the latest version - last month. This is still obviously a work in progress and there are only four pages (15-18) of rifle loads data in a small number of cartridges, but they include 260 Rem and 6.5mm Creedmoor in addition to the usual suspects of .308 Win and .30-06 etc, not to mention the less usual suspect of .458 SOCOM! (There are also some BPCR loads bullet data for the old Accurate-5744, now known as Lovex DO-60, or in its Shooters World rebranding as Buffalo Rifle.)

There are no data as yet for Lovex SO70 (SW4350 in Shooters World speak).

Still, it's a useful additional source of information for those using or contemplating using Lovex powders which are very good indeed in some applications, and this reloading guide is obviously still being expanded

Thanks Laurie, an excellent find  :)

Just took a look at S062/Precision data for the 6.5 Creedmoor, with a 140gr it says 34 - 37gr with 37gr giving 2611fps.  This ties up very nicely with the suggested load data you gave me last year, I ended up using 36gr and got 2535fps from my Ruger RPR.

Thanks Laurie.

So DO63 (v similar to AA1680, if no longer the same thing) has become "Blackout"

Hopefully updates will follow.

32 minutes ago, Bangbangman said:

So DO63 (v similar to AA1680, if no longer the same thing) has become "Blackout"

In the USA anyway. It'll still be labeled DO63 in our supplies brought in by Mike Pearson of Westlander. 

Is the 300 Blackout such a huge success in the USA? There are now two powders named for it - Hodgdon CFE-BLK ball powder and this one, both fast burners as you'd expect. (The BLK name confused me for a long time as Hodgdon does various black powder type propellants and I dismissed it as another such, not as a modern fast-burning smokeless grade. It is one of the few Reach compliant survivors in the Hodgdon range.)

On 5/6/2018 at 11:33 PM, Laurie said:

In the USA anyway. It'll still be labeled DO63 in our supplies brought in by Mike Pearson of Westlander. 

Is the 300 Blackout such a huge success in the USA? There are now two powders named for it - Hodgdon CFE-BLK ball powder and this one, both fast burners as you'd expect. (The BLK name confused me for a long time as Hodgdon does various black powder type propellants and I dismissed it as another such, not as a modern fast-burning smokeless grade. It is one of the few Reach compliant survivors in the Hodgdon range.)

It seems to have caught on... for now. It fulfills a hunting role in the US, which it can't do in UK (except smaller deer species in England/Wales, fox etc)

I enjoy it in a short-barrelled AR-STYLE platform: cast 240gr subs, jacketed 125gr supersonic. Easy brass conversion from .223Rem (but avoid thick-walled donor brass). Doesn't lend itself to accuracy/precision roles (though some Internet groups look impressive!)

Time will tell if it's a survivor.

Thanks Bangbangman.

It's difficult for us (or certainly me at any rate ) in our over-regulated situation to remember just how mainstream the AR-15 platform  in the USA has become in its semi-auto form, and as much, much more than a range or plinking tool. Get a good AR-compatible cartridge and it taps straight into a large group of potential users including 'hunters'.

Archived