50 grain varmint load for Sako 75 Varmint

maximus otter

l wanted to find an accurate, super-fast load for my new (to me) Sako 75 Varmint using 40 grain V-Max or BlitzKings, N133 powder and BR2 primers in Lapua Match brass. Short version: l can’t. No combination of powder load and seating depth would give me better than about 0.6 to 0.8 MOA off the bench.

A mate at the club - wise in the ways of reloading - suggested that l go to a 50 grain flat base bullet for better accuracy. (l want 0.5 MOA).

My permission is 600 acres of billiard-table flat East Anglian farmland, so l need minimum ricochet risk.

I’ll be taking sub-300 yard shots at small game and vermin; and very occasional sub-175 yard side-to-side shots on muntjac and CWD. (l have a 6.5 x 55mm for when l’m specifically out for venison).

I’m not going to change any ingredient other than the bullets.

So: Which 50-grain, flat-based .224 bullet?

maximus otter

Does it have to be flat based ? Was thinking sierra 1450s (50grn blitzking- but there boatail ... 

Forgot to mention , i used some speer hollow points in a 223 years ago from a friend and 5 shots @ 300 yards was 1" inch !!

5 hours ago, gunner said:

Does it have to be flat based ? Was thinking sierra 1450s (50grn blitzking- but there boatail ... 

N133 and 1450 50gr blitzking a winner for tight groups. Not really a deer round but may be fine head and neck at sensible range? Have never tried it......... yet.

16 hours ago, Brummy Mark said:

60gr Berger Match Varmints, have been using these for a few years now in .223 and they have proved to be consistently very very accurate for me.

How do they perform on quarry like corvids? Genuine interest as iv never tried them . 

On 5/8/2018 at 1:31 PM, gunner said:

How do they perform on quarry like corvids? Genuine interest as iv never tried them . 

Hi G, I have been using the 60gr Berger match varmints in my .223 for a long while for varmints inc corvid big and small, they are devastating. Prey simply stops and falls. I have a semi custom remmy 700 with Lilja barrel, 1:7 twist and these bullet heads hold an easy 1/4moa. 2978fps at 17c and 985.5hpa

50 grain Vmax over RL15.  Shot 0.25 moa out of my Sako 75 Varmint 1:8 twist. Nice concentric loads with a Lee Collet Die. Shot everything with them including Roe and one very 'big' Roe. Sold it to gbal in a moment of weakness !

Archived