Czech mil comp

ds1

Last year me and my partner did very well at the comp, this year not so well. Shooting skills fine as I was within the top 10 after the first day of “normal “ type disciplines  but rapidly degraded when under physical stress - not surprising with a combined age of 109. By that  I mean, 36 hours without sleep, pistol drills shot wearing full pack and rifle and sometimes dragging a 100kg manikin round as well. Worst was a 15m crawl through a sand tunnel - breathing sand really fecked me up. Again with full kit  as part of a very physical stage. I also hate being carted around in BVP transporters - think Soviet era armoured carriers. A six hour wait for one 4 second target from 2am to 8am with no sleep from the previous two nights was not my idea of fun either.

Comp was hosted at two locations - Libava military training area and Bzenec testing range - a 800x600m sand box

Good points - me and my partner work really well as a team, helicopter stage, playing with a Dillon Aero. The Finnish lads are excellent and we got on very well with the French lads too.

I think that there were 5 teams from the USA ( saw one listed from Alaska but don’t know if they turned up). Other teams from Slovenia, Germany, Italy, Slovakia, Finland, France etc.

Organisation was superb - well over 40 stages in 4 days. Very smooth with minimal time delays between stages ( each stage had a 1 minute max preparation time to get your shizzle ready). Distances from 20m to 1km with paper,  plate, moving and sh1te that goes bang targets. Ukd and night shoot.

Food - Czech army canteen - in other words sausages every frigging meal.

Kit thoughts - AIAXMC 338 plus a 20kg pack soon gets old. 338 ammunition sucks at 2x 308 weight, all ammunition carried for all stages - 338 = 4.4 kg / 100 rounds. 9mm pistol (cz P10c) and ammunition- no weight saving to be made there.

Winner - Czech URNA ( paramilitary police). 

Link to TV coverage. A bit of the vid is in English 

http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/ct24/regiony/2461522-na-libave-strileji-elitni-sniperi-cvici-i-strelbu-z-vrtulniku

Wow, theyve made it a whole lot more challenging David...

Were there many equipment failures in the sand..?

Andy, the comp really has evolved from the early days of a few mates organising something into a true international military comp - this has been possible with the main organiser being the 7th mech brigade of the Czech Army. The biggest failure in the sand were really the pistols, last year we used glocks and this year cz p10c’s. Kept them in the rucksacks in plastic bags until needed but still got gritty and stiff triggers. Rifle wise there were no issues with our AI’s, we ran them dry. I didn’t notice anyone else have issues and saw a fair selection of kit, semi autos included Larue and m110’s, bolt sticks were mainly AI’s and TRG’s saw a Tikka and Remmy 700 in a MDT chassis too.

BD, to keep awake what I did was... to neck 4 red bulls just before the stage. This worked but meant that I needed to go for a piss a couple of times, but without breaking position.... there is an art to scooping some sand, turning on your side and pissing in the hole without pissing yourself...... just call me “lonely”. Also need to set your bipod lower than you think as your shoulders drop after half an hour or so and my rear bag got used as a chin “pillow” to stop my neck aching so much.

Some of the teams were going onto a comp in Italy, starting 2 days after this comp and using this as a warmup. I was fragged as it was. There is a realisation that shooting experience is no substitute for youth.

Which comp is this one ? I’m thinking of doing the Sniper Comp on July 23rd... is that the same one you did or did you do the Police Comp which falls on the 30th July this year ?

TJC, The one your thinking about is on the sandy range - Bzenec where you shot before. It is a substitute for the Hungarian comp. I don’t think that I can do that comp as I have clients on my range then. It should be a lite version of what we have just done as it is the same bloke organising it.

The plod comp on the 30th is at Libava I will try to attend as it is the 20th year. This is more target shooting with sniper rifles and not a tactical comp.

Atb David

Hi Derek, around that. I saw the list  very briefly once at the end. Can’t even remember now.. We weren’t up top anyway. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

8 hours ago, ds1 said:

Hi Derek, around that. I saw the list  very briefly once at the end. Can’t even remember now.. We weren’t up top anyway. Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks.

I meant years old ......

Sounds like I'm glad I didn't do it this year Dave.

Even more full on than last year.

Shame you cant make the 23 July.

Alan & I will try and hold up the English end as far as we can...But our combined age is over 110 years!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived