Shooting Shed "Thingy" for Lyman Gen 6

VarmLR

Thought I'd share the outcome of a recent commission for Dave at Shooting Shed.  I've become the guinea-pig for a "Thingy" for Lyman Gen 6 electronic load dispensers.  I sent the plastic factory plug off to Dave with instructions that I wanted something that would work better with powders ranging from the fine and uniform N133 which can easily over-trickle with the standard plug to RS62 which tends to clump.  Within a few days he came back with the end result, beautifully machined with a longer plug equipped with more of a gradual bellmouth then the standard version.  I tried it today whilst loading for some Muntjac shooting this week and the results were quite impressive.

20 rounds loaded and instead of loading to within 0.2 and then trickling up, I thought I'd try it with straight loads.  End result was and ES of 0.1, and four from 20 were just under 0.1gr over, the rest being spot on.  Time for a 24.2gr charge was 16 seconds each time.  Had I loaded just under and trickled up they would all have been spot on.  This was from a powder that regularly threw to 0.2gr over previously.

20180424_161325.jpg

20180424_161336.jpg

You could say that about ALL automatic powder dispensers though as they all suffer from the same thing (none that I am aware of throw straight charges using all powders without some propellants being over-thrown due to clumping or just too large a dispenser diameter).  The Lyman is no worse (and probably better than) the Chargemaster in this respect.

For my .308 and 6.5, where I have stable load plateaus with a tenth or more latitude, I can just set the Gen 6 to auto, press a button a load now knowing that it'll not stray beyond those limits.  The BR3 does a similar job (as I'm sure would a Harrell) but only with small grained very uniform powders.  For everything else, I think that I would be hard pushed to better the speed and accuracy of the Gen 6 or a Chargemaster fitted with Dave's "Thingy".  

Archived