Quickload check

MJR

Would someone be kind enough to run this load through Quickload. I have and see predicted pressure levels within reason but I'm seeing higher than expected velocities.

0.308 using Palma brass, BR2 primers.

155TMK seated to 2.880" COAL 

46.1gn Varget.

Thanks.

Reloading data is not an absolute. I have several cartridges that give "max" velocities with a mid range load. I also have some that struggle to hit predicted velocities. You'll get no confirmation from the internet. Consider yourself blessed and go shooting!~Andrew

Good spot, yes BR4's.

Yes reloading is not an absolute, happy to take the extra velocity but just wondered if my quickload prediction is accurate and if anyone else would run the figures.

I don't think QL has the ability to account for Palma brass rather than normal LRP stuff, assume the charge weight/velocities will be slightly awry in comparison as a result? happy to run using the standard QL 308W profile though if you want. 

You'd need to provide barrel length in addition to the above btw.

Correct.  QL cannot run predictions for SR primer brass.  My own limited experience is that whatever QL predicts, actual loads needed to be  1.5gr higher in 6.5CM to achieve the same figures.  Anecdotally, loads in .308 Palma need to be between 0.6 and 1gr higher to achieve the same as regular LR brass.  Lower ignition energy.

I've found the opposite with RS52......................for my 308 load, QL predicts 2908fps with a Scenar 155 bullet.

Labradar chrony gives 3060 fps using the Palma SR case with KVB-223M primer, and 3010 fps using the std Lapua LR case, with the KVB LR primer.

It's been reported before that QL underestimates MV (and pressure) with RS52.

Re-Pete

Interesting. I ran the load through quick load using std 308 case so that may well be the difference. 

Its a 26" barrel and I was trialing another saterlee load development to see if I get repeat results with the 308 following success with the 6.5x47. The results look good so far with higher than expected velocity which is a bonus providing its safe and that what I'm trying to check. No pressure signs whatsoever so far.

Archived