Rifle Cleaning

onpar

Soak a patch with KG1. Push through rifle.  Repeat.

Use a nylon brush with KG1 and brush the bore full length a dozen times. Leave for 30 minutes. Patch out until patch comes out clean. Use a soaked patch to clean the muzzle.

Repeat process with copper remover if you wish to remove copper.

works for me.

• 2 weeks later...

As per MJR's suggestion...I haven't found anything to better KG1 for carbon removal.  Use a good (Ammonia free) copper remover after you start to notice accuracy dropping off. Some benchrest shooters do a complete clean and de-copper after as few as 20 rounds to prevent copper build up and to ensure consistent barrel conditions shot to shot.  Most shooters shoot on what is known as a copper plateau, and when too much copper builds up, decopper then.  For my barrels, this seems to be around the 75 to 100 round mark but it can vary a lot depending on the barrel.   KG12 is fine but I prefer Wipeout products.  Accelerator as the name suggests speeds up the cleaning process but I use without, just ensuring the Wipeout is left on the barrel for at least a few hours.  You don't need to bother with all of the KG products...mostly it's to separate you from your money and convince you that you need them. I've only ever used a good carbon remover and a decoppering/barrel conditioning cleaner.

Archived