bes thermal handheld spotter

carrigm

Pulsar Helion XQ38F - it's far and away the best bang for your buck thermal spotter.

Get her to buy it from Blackwood  Outdoors http://www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk/thermal/thermal-monoculars/pulsar-helion-xq38f-thermal-monocular

If she asks nicely and use her womanly wiles, and she should get 10% off that price.

Cheers

Bruce

On 13/04/2018 at 5:48 PM, phoenix said:

Pulsar Helion XQ38F - it's far and away the best bang for your buck thermal spotter.

Get her to buy it from Blackwood  Outdoors http://www.blackwoodoutdoors.co.uk/thermal/thermal-monoculars/pulsar-helion-xq38f-thermal-monocular

If she asks nicely and use her womanly wiles, and she should get 10% off that price.

Cheers

Bruce

That's the one I bought last year, and the place I bought it from. It's a remarkable bit of kit.

• 1 month later...

I know i'm late replying to this thread, but i've recently acquired a Helion XQ50.

I'd originally ordered a xq38 from Ian at Blackwoods but supply from the importers was delayed and Ian offered me the xq50 at a very healthy discount. You do lose a little field of view due to higher optical mag but you then benefit from a naturally larger image. I've certainly no regrets in getting the 50 over the 38, and to quote so many other users it really is a game changer when spotting quarry. I was out recently with a good shooting mate who even with his archer couldn't spot a couple of foxes i picked up immediately ... one being at extreme range.

To say i'm impressed with the unit would be an understatement. As for suppliers, i would heartily recommend Ian at Blackwoods .... a great guy to talk to who'll give you a straight opinion and good advice on what's available, good service and a good price.

Mike

On 4/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, phoenix said:

Cheers

Bruce

What is the difference in the xq range over the xp range? I have no knowledge of thermal imagers atall and would like to purchase one this year. 

The XQ range uses a 384x288 pixel sensor while the XP range uses a 640x480 pixel sensor.

Since the pixels in both sensors are the same size (17 micron), it follows that the 640x480 sensor is physically larger than the 384x288 sensor.

The difference in the sensor pixel count and size has the following consequences:
a. Because it has many more sensor pixels, the XP is much more expensive than the XQ (about £1200)

b. Because it's sensor is physically larger, the XP models have lower magnification, but wider field of view than XQ models  with the same lens size

c. Because detection range depends on lens focal length and pixel size (not the number of pixels) there is no difference in detection range between XQ and XP models with the same lens size.

d. The larger number of pixels in the XP models are generally regarded as producing a smoother, less grainy image than the XQ models

Cheers

Bruce

Quantum lite 30 for a bout £1300 is all you need.Its the budget version but excellent for foxing and deer spotting.A real game changer.Easily spots foxes at 4/500 yards.Does not have all the bells and whistles but who needs them.Richard.

On 4/13/2018 at 5:48 PM, phoenix said:

Cheers

Bruce

Is the Ward WT 37 comparable to the Pulsar  XQ38f or vice versa in terms of reliability / spec and quality ?

The Ward WT37 uses a 25 micron sensor and a 37mm lens so it's going to have lower magnification, wider field of view and less detection range than an XQ38.

By all accounts the WT37 is built like a brick outhouse and I have not heard of any reliability issues.

When it first became available it was up against the original Pulsar Apex HD38 - and it performed as well as the HD38 and it had on board recording

However, times move on, and the Pulsar Apex HD 38 was replaced by the Apex XD38 and then by the Apex XQ38 and now by the Helion XQ38.

So, I'd have to say that the Helion XQ38 is the one to go for.

You can also get 10% off the Helion if you ask around (try Blackwood Outdoors)

Cheers

Bruce

Super 

Thanks for the informed response makes it a much easier choice 

?

Archived