Flyers

Miseryguts

I shoot 10 shot groups for load development, and have been trying to sort out a Winchester 94AE in 357M calibre 

OK so I am a crap shot, but where do the odd flyers come from? Below a target that had me tearing my hair (not a lot left) out.

Shots 1 to 7 are not too bad (for me), shot 8 is almost off the picture, shot 9 is due to me losing my cool at shot 8! After that I went home!

All shots over a chrono, perfect weather, all ammo loaded same batch. Chrono data in picture Average MV 1224 fps, ES 24 fps, Sd 6fps

Grateful for any explanations that might make me feel better

M (More miserable than usual )

357 for ukv.jpg

Nope, I load single rounds through the ejector port instead of using the lever action for development, and was shooting at low speed i.e probably a minute between shots

M

Story of my life with my .357 94AE. I've tried every thing I know to get tight groups. Shots 1-7, I would be extremely pleased with at 56 yards, bettering most of my pitiful efforts with this rifle. It's great little rifle and fun to shoot, and I know they weren't ever designed with accuracy the priority, however I enjoy a challenge.

Best groups I ever achieved were by stripping off all the clutter at the fore end, barrel band, magazine tube etc.  and single feeding, totally impractical but was trying to see where the problem was. I concluded that it was about as good as it was going to get and just live with it.

Not very helpful I know.

Maybe its just the calibre then.

My cz452 22lr use to shoot amazing with eley xtra hollow subs.eley changed something and they are crap.ive tried several brands now and best of the bad bunch is winny 42 grainers.i shot 6 shot group Sunday that was barely under an inch from 60yds.the eleys use to shot half that size group.

Archived