PM2 on AI NEEDS FITTING

RAW

I have just received my Schmidt and Bender PM2 to fit to my Accuracy International, however to make sure that the job is done well on a precision piece of kit, I am asking for recommendations for someone to do this, any riflesmiths to get this set up. 

I have been looking at YouTube videos etc that were recommended but would prefer someone who has alot of experience doing this to do the job right.

Look forward to hearing recommendations. 

Based near Hereford and Malvern Hills.

Cheers 

Ok sorry if I was not clear, I have a spur mount and a 5-25x56 which needs mounting to my Accuracy International AT rifle

I’m not sure which gunsmiths are near to you in your area but it is a relatively simple task to mount the scope and rail to the AI action

Just follow the instructions within the Sphur and S&B packaging would be a starting point and make sure the reticule is vertical and you have sufficient eye relied and “sight” within the occular lens.

I’m assumjng your rifle has a picatinny rail and not dovetail ,,,,?

1 hour ago, Ronin said:

I’m not sure which gunsmiths are near to you in your area but it is a relatively simple task to mount the scope and rail to the AI action

Just follow the instructions within the Sphur and S&B packaging would be a starting point and make sure the reticule is vertical and you have sufficient eye relied and “sight” within the occular lens.

I’m assumjng your rifle has a picatinny rail and not dovetail ,,,,?

Picatinny rail

Ok

its straightforward enough with a few tools and patience

basically ;

ubdo the scope body clamps on the mount and with the mount orientated the correct way (if a inclined rail the thicker end to the rear) place the scope in the mount

make sure no part of the scope other than the body tube is touching the mount and there is clearance under the saddle of the scope and mount

Loosly fit the body cap and screws then set the scope so the cross hairs are vertical - easy to do with a set of feeler guages in bettween the base of the scope saddle and upper surface of mount beneath the scope saddle

Once scope rotated to be vertical nip up the scope clamp screws as directed in the sphur manial

Then place scope and mount in picatinny slots of action having loosened the clamp enough to allow the mount to drop in place 

Position mount so you have a proper sight picture and eye relied when you hold the rifle standing and at prone

Make sure the mount is positioned so the recoil forces do not move the mount (push the mount forward in picatinny till slots surfaces are touching 

Then nip the side clamps up

check sight picture , eye relied and scope oroentation

Tighten up all screws to recommended torque setting (inch pounds)

Check sight picture, eye relied and orientation again

you should be good to go 

48 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Ok

its straightforward enough with a few tools and patience

basically ;

ubdo the scope body clamps on the mount and with the mount orientated the correct way (if a inclined rail the thicker end to the rear) place the scope in the mount

make sure no part of the scope other than the body tube is touching the mount and there is clearance under the saddle of the scope and mount

Loosly fit the body cap and screws then set the scope so the cross hairs are vertical - easy to do with a set of feeler guages in bettween the base of the scope saddle and upper surface of mount beneath the scope saddle

Once scope rotated to be vertical nip up the scope clamp screws as directed in the sphur manial

Then place scope and mount in picatinny slots of action having loosened the clamp enough to allow the mount to drop in place 

Position mount so you have a proper sight picture and eye relied when you hold the rifle standing and at prone

Make sure the mount is positioned so the recoil forces do not move the mount (push the mount forward in picatinny till slots surfaces are touching 

Then nip the side clamps up

check sight picture , eye relied and scope oroentation

Tighten up all screws to recommended torque setting (inch pounds)

Check sight picture, eye relied and orientation again

you should be good to go 

You lost me at the feeler gauges, alot of it makes sense! Thanks

Hope it helps

numb typing on phone keypad but I’m sure you will get them idea 

feeler guages bettween base of saddle (flat bottom ) and upper surface of mount directly above will give you two parallel surfaces that can be confirmed as parallel with feeler guage of appropriate thickness which in turn will orientate cross hairs to be aligned vertically 

looked at the feeler gauges they come in different sizes

9 minutes ago, Ronin said:

Hope it helps

numb typing on phone keypad but I’m sure you will get them idea 

feeler guages bettween base of saddle (flat bottom ) and upper surface of mount directly above will give you two parallel surfaces that can be confirmed as parallel with feeler guage of appropriate thickness which in turn will orientate cross hairs to be aligned vertically 

Ok, i will look at that thanks!

Doesn’t the Spuhr come with a levelling wedge?  Both mine did.

Using Ronin’s instructions above, slide the wedge in to the groove machined in the base to give a flat surface for the bottom of the PMII saddle. Fit scope, remove wedge, simples....

Tony

2 minutes ago, TC said:

Doesn’t the Spuhr come with a levelling wedge?  Both mine did.

Using Ronin’s instructions above, slide the wedge in to the groove machined in the base to give a flat surface for the bottom of the PMII saddle. Fit scope, remove wedge, simples....

Tony

Yes it does, seems to simple :) just wanting to get everything level and correct.

Use the wedge...the bottom of the S&B turret housing is flat, so can use the wedge against that to ensure the scope is correctly levelled within the Spuhr mount.

I'd also check against a plumb line. Simple idea and requires no additional tools (other than a spirit level, though the Spuhr mounds do have a bubble in them which can be used too!).

Simple vid from YouTube showing you how:

L

So far done the eye relief and scope in rings used wedge all looked of, tightened up then looked at bubble on mount and noticed rifle needed to be canted left to bring the bubble straight then noticed retical was canted, argghh!

Check and check again during tightening sequence ?

Absolutely. Torque down ring screws in opposites to each other to the point where you can't easily rotate the scope. Now check scope alignment and keep tightening screws down in sequence as before but now doing just a turn or two. Keep checking level between each tightening turns to ensure scope isn't rotating on you as you're making the final torquing turns.

Btw, you should be torquing the scope rings and the mount to the picatinny rail appropriately.

Rings: 15-25 inch pounds

Mount to picatinny rail: 45 inch pounds

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/03/22/rifle-screw-torque-settings-specifications/

As above, 

they do number the screws to attach to the Picatinny, in the order to be tightened. It’s not so clear for the screws on the rings. Don’t worry about getting it wrong, as Ronin said, keep checking as you go along. You can even put a small spirit level on the top turret if it helps spotting movement. I’d only tighten the screws up to the right settings once your happy it’s right in all directions.

see attached

60991539-B45D-47D1-91FB-36075A605151.png

8 minutes ago, Treedave said:

As above, 

they do number the screws to attach to the Picatinny, in the order to be tightened. It’s not so clear for the screws on the rings. Don’t worry about getting it wrong, as Ronin said, keep checking as you go along. You can even put a small spirit level on the top turret if it helps spotting movement. I’d only tighten the screws up to the right settings once your happy it’s right in all directions.

see attached

60991539-B45D-47D1-91FB-36075A605151.png

Okay, I was tightening up 5 and 6,  3 and 4 etc, anyway retical is still not straight, I used the plum bob thought it would all be good, when I look at the bubble on the sphur now the ret is off set. Enough this evening :(

Keep plugging away mate, but be aware. Once in a blue moon a scope will have a slightly canted reticle as its been set in the scope wrongly ( though I can't believe S&B would have that!!).

I recently had to send a Vortex Golden Eagle back to get it exchanged as the reticle was totally pi**ed inside the tube. I thought it was me at first, but the boys at Fultons confirmed it. When everything was perfectly squared, the reticle was out by about 10 degrees.

The good news was I got a new one and its super duper!

All the best

Archived