Ban on "rapid firing rifles, and certain powerful firearms and bump stocks, which increase a rifles’ rate of fire"

phaedra1106uk

Have you emailed your MP about it yet?

If not, why not?

If you have already emailed your MP about it, have you just now emailed again to express surprise that it's being apparently brought forward before the consultation results have been made public.

Quick resumé:

Ban rifles of kinds not known to be used in crime in the UK, for no clear reason.

Interfere with sales of knives in a way that is superficially a good PR response to the last week's-worth of press coverage of violence in London, but is in fact unlikely to have the slightest impact on such behaviour in the future.

Email your MP.

Write clearly, concisely, coherently and NOW.

It will probably take you less time to do that than to post on here that it won't affect you anyway, .50-cal are too big, MARS just waste ammuntion, and how you haven't noticed that every time a bit of firearms legislation gets passed, it gets closer to taking away your stuff.

12 minutes ago, phaedra1106uk said:

I emailed him when the consultation was first announced, emailed again when I didn't even get the courtesy of a reply.

As for posting on here that it won't affect me I never said that, I don't know where you got that idea from.

To Phaedra: Sorry - should have been clearer - I didn't get that idea. My post wasn't adressed to you: it was addressed to everyone. Hence the lack of quotation and the  inclusion of the resumé.

initially I didn't email my MP - I went to see him in person. That will probably make no difference at all - just like the emails. However, if another dozen or so Gorton constituents went to see him it might? They probably won't - but that will not be for my lack of trying.

Turns to the audience: do it. Do it now!

Centrefire semi autos have been banned since Hungerford. 

It's a ban on things like the MARS and Southern Gun Company rifles which are not technically semi autos but which can have a high rate of fire. 

It is not a ban on semi auto 22 rimfire rifles

Cheers

Bruce

The original consultation document is linked below.  Page 17.

There isn't a proposed ban on ANY semi auto rifles, just .50 cal, anything over 10,000 ft/lbs muzzle energy, MARS type and 'rapid fire' rifles.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/651830/Offensive_and_Dangerous_Weapons-Consultation-.pdf

21 minutes ago, ColinBR said:

Is that a flat out ban on semi autos, or is it a ban on centre fire semi autos, anyone know anymore details?

From my understanding of the link posted, there is as yet no detail, just that a bill will be presented to parliament covering the points laid out in the statement. In respect of the parts of the proposed bill relating to firearms , it would almost certainly require the results of the consultation to be at least referred to in order to show that all concerns have been considered.

Until the details have been published , ie. the bill itself, all else is just conjecture. There are many of us waiting to see what appears in the bill, as the next stage for shooters to express their views will be to contact their mp's and point out why we believe the bills proposed legislation to be excessive/unwarranted.

It is at the parliamentary stage that our MP's have to get off the fence, hopefully some will raise points when the bill is put to parliament. but whatever happens they will all have the chance to vote on it. They are now at the point of being directly involved with their constituents. As such a letter ( written submissions to your MP by parliamentary convention require a written reply, emailed submissions do not by themselves have to receive a response) setting out opposition , assuming there is any, to the bill and a request for a face to face meeting (again assuming that the response to the letter is insufficient to answer concerns) will hopefully be the actions of all FAC and SGC holders.

5 hours ago, Artiglio said:

... there is as yet no detail, just that a bill will be presented to parliament covering the points laid out in the statement.

...all else is just conjecture... a letter ( written submissions to your MP by parliamentary convention require a written reply, emailed submissions do not by themselves have to receive a response) setting out opposition , assuming there is any, to the bill and a request for a face to face meeting (again assuming that the response to the letter is insufficient to answer concerns) will hopefully be the actions of all FAC and SGC holders.

^^^^^

This, in a nutshell.

However, the conjecture of the shooting community is usually based on sound reasoning, going by past actions of (mostly conservative led) governments and it's highly likely that mis-informed MPs who have little incentive but to bow to PC social engineering will waive through a ban on MARS as well as 50 cal.  I, for one, would be interested in what they deem as a definition of "rapid firing rifles".

We all ought to be more concerned than we currently might be on this issue, as next, there'll be some post-script suggestions that anything "military looking" might be next on the agenda, irrespective of action with some lame made up nonsense justifying the reasoning.  It has as much bearing in reality to the suggestion for banning MARS before anyone suggests it's paranoid nonsense.

I will be writing to my MP shortly on this, expressing my concerns on the ever tightening of the noose around the necks of ordinary law abiding shooters. We're the only victims of such banal, ill conceived legislation as illegal firearms incidents are not remotely affected by such legislation and illegal possession and use will no doubt continue with little impact on tackling the real issues in society of the relatively few gun related crimes we have. Our shooting organisations have been singularly ineffective on this issue particularly,  I'm wondering what use they are to anyone these days as there's been little in the way of positive wins for their members in recent years, hence my subscriptions were not renewed this year.

Can only agree completely with VarmLR.....the media are banging on about acid and knives but never mentioning the firearms which are roped into the same ridiculous review and would, no doubt, be swept up in any parliamentary voting driven by the acid / knife issues.

Acid can be tapped from car batteries, knives can be made from screwdrivers and chisels.......how can you ban these things in the real world?

I despair of ever hearing sense from our political classes.

I shall be writing to my MP to ask how they will be addressing these seperate issues.

I've already drafted my response and will be contacting both my MP and AM soon.

However, I too agree the various organisations out there representing our community simply haven't done enough. It may be too early in the consultation phase, or there's lots going on behind the scenes that I'm unaware of, but the more I've looked to BASC (in particular) for help/advice, the more disappointed I am. It seems they're far more interested in writing mediocre drivel,  cramming yet more advertising into their magazines and providing duff and inaccurate advice.

1 hour ago, Catch-22 said:

I've already drafted my response and will be contacting both my MP and AM soon.

However, I too agree the various organisations out there representing our community simply haven't done enough. It may be too early in the consultation phase, or there's lots going on behind the scenes that I'm unaware of, but the more I've looked to BASC (in particular) for help/advice, the more disappointed I am. It seems they're far more interested in writing mediocre drivel,  cramming yet more advertising into their magazines and providing duff and inaccurate advice.

I don't want to sound critical, but response to what?  The Consultation for everyone to raise their views ended on 9th December 2017.

8 minutes ago, David TS said:

I don't want to sound critical, but response to what?  The Consultation for everyone to raise their views ended on 9th December 2017.

Yeah, don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.....

7 minutes ago, bradders said:

Yeah, don't let facts get in the way of a good moan.....

Wise words: and from one who knows whereof he speaks.

Indeed it is too late to respond to the official consultation.

It is not however too late to respond, by dropping a line to your MP, to the apparently-imminent appearance of this Bill before Parliament.

:)

14 minutes ago, David TS said:

Mark

Curiosity question, because I do not know the answer, are MARS type rifles allowed in CSR?

Yes, any legally held Centre fire rifle is allowed, however why would you want one? As they’re generally crap and we don’t have access to barn-door sized targets or the people to man-handle them

VZ 68 MARS rifles, 2....and they’re only part timers

SGC lever release rifles, 3 or 4, only one used regularly though

There’s more that will be affected though with 9mm versions

52 minutes ago, bradders said:

Yes, any legally held Centre fire rifle is allowed, however why would you want one? As they’re generally crap and we don’t have access to barn-door sized targets or the people to man-handle them

And who'd want to sell their soul to that man for one anyway?

Irrespective of the fact that MARS rifles may be a camel - a horse designed by a committee - there has been a rather devious sleight of hand operation regarding them, and this consultation:

Extract from the FELWG meeting minutes of 05 February 2015:

8. NABIS Update

c. Recent attacks in France

Martin Parker provided an update on questions that had come out of the recent incidents in France:

Action: Martin Parker to review classification with regards to the MARS rifle

ACPO tasked Martin Parker of NABIS to go after MARS rifles way back in Feb 2015. I believe the CCA VZ 58 rifle was run past the Home Office at the time it was introduced in 2014 and confirmed as S.1, yet in the 2017 firearms consultation there was a suggestion it should be reclassified as Section 5 - and that went back directly to that ACPO/NABIS initiative two years earlier.

The significance of this is that ACPO/NPCC can try and get NABIS (who are owned by the police) to get the classification of a rifle changed from S.1 to S.5, years after the Home Office had ruled the VZ 58 S.1 compliant.

The Home Office, on behalf of the government and parliament, is the arbiter of firearms law in Great Britain, not NPCC and NABIS.

Once the NPCC/NABIS tail starts wagging the dog, nothing is safe any longer, irrespective of the fact that it is a gross abuse of process.

Add a flawed and plainly misleading consultation process to this, and you have a complete breakdown in how the law creation, enforcement and judgement process relating to firearms in this country is carried out.

Well I would hope that right up to a final decision and act of parliament passed the organisation that represent us will be fighting our corner tooth and nail and being open about it and letting us all know what is going on what is being said and what there responses are.

Don't hold your breath on that one Vortex.  Even if they did shout loud enough, they'd likely be ignored as they have very little pull anyway . The police and H/O seem to have taken it upon themselves to initiate changes as part of their relentless drive to rid the UK of publicly held firearms and Parliament is influenced more by them than by any shooting organisation.   Saying that, our shooting organisations' roar over these recent issues seems to have been more of a sqeak.  Sometimes I wonder who's side they're really on.  I gave up on the one I subscribed to last year and just write direct to my MP now on these matters as I figure if we all did that it would have more impact than [insert organisation's name here] writing their semi- conciliatory mediocrity.  

I wrote to my MP at the time I responded to the consultation last December, and I did get a lengthy reply.

Sadly, it was the inevitable political response, and he will be getting my response to that in the near future.

Archived