Beam scales

foxyloxy

Ranging from £80 to £145 is there any difference in them? Any one got a finer / longer pointer than the others? RCBS, Redding, Hornady, Lyman etc.

I currently use a set of 502 scales and a target master trickler. Just stick with what I have?

With scales, you generally get what you pay for but IME even cheaper beam scales are more reliable then cheap electronic scales and there's little wrong with the 502 scales.  You can, if careful, modify the pointer yourself and affix a cheap USB camera and bracket to the front edge of the scales so you can read them more precisely/easier.

imo, if you have an older set from any of those you mention , assuming they are in good usable order you're good to go,  the newer stuff tends to be poorly made usually in china to a price, not a quality. personally I would stick with what you have. regarding the "finer/longer" pointer there are scale "Tuners" who could undertake such work and check the accuracy at the same time.

Technically you won't find a "better" scale than the 502. It has exactly the same knife edge/floating agate bearings as the top of the range RCBS 10/10 so none is "more accurate" than any of the others. This exact system is used on all the RCBS range and also the Dillon Eliminator. (all made by Ohaus)

The RCBS 502 is a very simple two poise scale, the 505 (and the Dillon) are three poise scales - the extra poise, although it may be preferred as easier to read, actually add another variable and possible cause of inaccuracy.

The Redding No 2 is also a plain simple two poise scale - it works well, it has fixed steel bearings but quality of those made 10 years or more ago, although they look the same, are better.

The RCBS 502/505/10/10 were dropped from the RCBS range around three years ago - for the 7-8 years previous to that they were made in either China or Mexico with variable quality.

RCBS replaced the 502,505,10/10 with two new scales the M500 and the M1000. The M500 is a direct replacement for the 502, being a simple 2 poise scale. The beam is printed on both sides so can be used left or right handed.

I would avoid the Lyman with the plastic base - small knife edge/fixed bearing.

The Hornady new beam scale  (not the "M" type) is a simple two poise scale that mostly works well. Hornady/pacific use a different system of knife edge to centre up the beam. Most other scales have end plates on the bearing to keep the beam centred, Hornday use a curved knife edge to center up the beam.

Archived