UKV - The Place for Precision Rifle Enthusiasts
Sign in to follow this  
Rob1562

Ward 800 NV add on...as a spotter ??

Hi all,

I'm considering the purchase of the above, and as the question in the title, does anyone use it as a spotter and then fit to the rifle before taking a shot or does everyone leave them on their rifle?

I like the idea of using one as a spotter and then fitting to the rifle, but was curious as to the capabilities as a spotter ?

Regards, Rob.

Don’t think using it as a spotter would work particularly well lack of magnification, then there’s the problem of attaching your ir torch 

Hi....i'd thought about the IR issue and thought about 2 Ir's....one fixed to the rifle and one to use "hand held".....cheaper than a spotter and an Nv scope.

Just wondered what kind of distance you'd pick up eye shine........don't have too much trouble picking up eye shine with the lamp and MK1 eyeball at 500+yds but someone is educating the local foxes and think it's time for NV.

Regards, Rob.

N550's make a great spotter if you want digital, cheap now SH also.  Take the rail off and fit a neck strap via the IR mount.

The lens in the Ward 800 is either 12mm or 16mm. That will give  a very wide field of view. and virtually no magnification.

For a decent NV spotter the lens needs to be 50mm or longer to get decent range

Because it uses a mirror to keep the overall length short, there is no way a 50mm lens can be fitted into Ward

The Ward was designed to fit on the back of a riflescope and produce a clear image of the scope reticle at a distance of about 3 inches - and it does that extremely well.

It wasn't designed as a spotter - so it doesn't do that well.

There are plenty of cheap, perfectly good NV spotters on E Bay that will do the job better than the Ward

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks for the replies and pm's guys. Looks like i'll have to have a bit of a re-think and maybe raid the piggy bank a bit further !

Regards, Rob.

My shooting partner has one, you must fit it to scope that will parallax down to about 20ft otherwise you wont be able to focus the device

Ian.

Hi,have you tried fitting a camera lens with a bayonet fitting,it works really well on the Photon Extreme,its worth a try !