223 75gr Hornady Steel Match opinions

Having just bought a .223Rem Tikka T3x I was looking for an inexpensive practice ammo and found 75gr HSM. It has some good reviews on the net, but mostly from people doing informal "plinking"... Have any of You used it for target practice/competition?

TIA,

Michal

I have used the 55gr and now avoid it. The black residue it left in my barrel was a joke, it achieved sub MOA but then after 35-40 rounds accuracy would just fall off a cliff. Trying to clean my barrel afterwards was an experience I do not wish to repeat!

Try and get hold of GGG, yes it is more expensive but the brass is really good and if you don't use it then I am sure you can sell it on to cover some of the expense. You have a  choice of 62gr or 69gr, I have used 62gr (cheaper) out to 700-800m at Orion with good results. 

Ed 

You talk about Hornady 75gn Steel Match and then you mention 75gn HSM. This leaves me confused as they are two different manufacturers!

I have shot both and they shoot equally as well, but they are both using the 75gn HPBTM bullet from Hornady, so they're never going to be that different

As for the previous poster who's shot the 55gn Steel match....that's not the same ammo!

The only real issues with this ammo is the steel case, and that's only a problem if you are shooting it through a straight pull

The other problems with it are these:- It's not available

The importer has run out of Steel Match, but 75gn TAP Training is the same ammo, albeit sold in a plain box at a much cheaper price....but don't get your hopes up as they only had 19k rds of it as of last week, and there won't be any more as it's made in Russia by Tula Industries, and there is an import ban on all arms and ammunition from Russia

That got me for a minute. "HSM" = "Hornady Steel Match", I think.

I have not shot the 223 but I have shot quite a bit of the 7.62x39 loaded with SST's. Almost as accurate as my handloads. I wish it was less expensive.... I wouldn' t bother handloading.~Andrew

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

That got me for a minute. "HSM" = "Hornady Steel Match", I think.

I have not shot the 223 but I have shot quite a bit of the 7.62x39 loaded with SST's. Almost as accurate as my handloads. I wish it was less expensive.... I wouldn' t bother handloading.~Andrew

HSM = Hunting Shack Munitions, otherwise referred to as HSM

hsm7mag-1.jpg

Actually it was more for everyone else’s benefit, as in this case it was probably an abbreviation too far!

ive shot quite a bit of orange box HSM on trips to the US and it is fine ammo.

the Hornady stuff is also pretty good, but as I said it’s made/assembled in Russia, so therefore there’ll be no more as long as the prohibition on arms imports from Russia is in place

HSM is good stuff. There was a time when HSM would show up at local gunshows with a truck load of ammo and make spectacular pricing. A 200 round case of 308 Match (168 SMK) would be, if I recall, $115 US. They have come up in the world since. Their 300AAC ammo is superb.~Andrew

Archived