Moderator Cleaning

Hi, should one clean a moderator, and if so how often, and what regime?

I only have two rifles with moderators (22LR and 223Rem) and always take them off and clean the rifle muzzle after shooting, but should I be trying to clean them? I say try, because I find it impossible to get them apart. Both were made by Colin at OneLessCharlie in stainless steel

Tried a search of the archives but only 1 thread came up and was related to a specific moderator

M

Colin also made my moddy. He stated that they should be self cleaning and so require no solvents.

However I guess this does depend on the ammunition you're using, specifically if the powder is burning off cleanly or if it's not fully burning and leaving copious amounts of thick carbon.

Personally, I always think a good flush through with some brake cleaner / Ballistol or such like and allowed to fully drip dry (not on gun or in cabinet) is sensible to do every once in a while.

EDIT: My moddy is a sealed unit. You don't say if yours is also sealed or not. 

Hi Miseryguts

My phone number is 07833 212214 if you need any assistance regarding the mods you purchased in the past.

If the 22lr has an aluminium end cap then it is strippable, if the 223 is all stainless then it is not and will self clean.

regards

Colin

Ok the 22LR mod has an end cap, and I have managed to strip and clean it - not too bad deposits were mainly softish white which scraped/wire wooled off relatively easily. This was after 2000+ rounds. Any recommendations to stop the deposits building up? Ballistol, Brake cleaner, thin oil, after shooting?

The 223 mod has end caps both ends, which after a struggle I managed to get off. The internals are coated in a very even black coating, and I am at a loss how to get the internal assembly out - don't want to damage anything! The 223  has had about 300 rounds through it using Hodgden H335 powder.

M

Thanks Colin, to be honest, now I've got the end caps off, it don't look too bad, there is no debris in it, and the black coating is very even and hard. I will shoot it some more then let you have it back later as I am in the middle of a load development run and don't want to throw an unknown variation into the mix. I will clean the 22 mod more regularly using the regime you suggest

ATB M

Just a thought, not really the same thread ,but>>> Can one have more than one moderator for a particular calibre as they have no serial numbers, or would one have to get a variation for each moderator??

Murphy's Law would indicate the latter :(

M

• 3 weeks later...

Archived