We're wondering: what's the consensus (if there is one) regarding the best moderator currently available? As we know that's rather like asking the length of a piece of twine, here are our terms of reference:

• We don't mind the weight
  • We don't mind if it is an over the barrel moderator
  • We do want maximum possible noise reduction
  • We do want corrosion resistance
  • We are looking for something that can tame high velocity medium calibre shots, e.g. 7mm Magnums
  • It would be nice if the same moderator could be used on several different rifles of the same (or smaller) calibre

We currently have an ASE Utra on a 7.62x51 and find that okay but would like something even better if possible for our 7mm Rem Mag

We also would like something to moderate a 9mm calibre rifle...

Were currently looking at Schultz and Larsen but are happy to consider other options.

36 minutes ago, David Hancock said:

I would put Calibre Innovations OVB into the mix.  Stunning engineering quality, moderation and service.  It ticks all the above criteria.

Quite fond of mine too, have had a prototype since pre-release. Titanium core and a hard anodised body, fully strippable and a lovely bit of engineering. And customer service second to none.

One to avoid. Third Eye Tactical/Tier One. I have one on my .308 and it is the noisiest moderator in the club. Everyone moans about it. It is easy to strip for cleaning but the noise.

ASE SL7 is supposed to be miles better at noise reduction than the SL5.

Ticks quote of a few of those boxes, being stainless.... also you could get the bore lock version and switch it between multiple rifles regardless of thread sizes? 

I might be going down the same route shortly.... so if I do, and it’s any good. I’ll let you know. 

Wildcat might be another option, doesn’t have the corrosion resistance, but truely modular. Swapping out to calibre baffle stacks, chosing length of tube and then different thread bridges for all rifles. With the mod being cheaper than others, not being stainless or titanium but you could replace the parts as and when required. 

I've a custom One Less Charlie in .338 made to the same spec as that used by Baldie on his .338.

It's an end of barrel (offers better sound reduction IMO). A stainless steel, sealed unit that by all accounts will last many many rounds.

Colin (OLC) was a pleasure to deal with, I thought his price was very reasonable and one big benefit was the ability to specify what you wanted - so I ensured the thread spec would enable me to use the one mod across multiple barrels/calibres.

Sadly Colin will not be making any more custom silencers. I also have a One Less Charlie silencer and confirm the quality is exceptional. 

The closest factory production item would be an ASE SL7. I have an SL5 and would have thought the quality would be the same. 

However the borelock system is reportedly not up to precision shooting according to Jacson rifles when I spoke with them. 

On 03/04/2018 at 5:56 AM, markymark said:

ASE SL7 is supposed to be miles better at noise reduction than the SL5.

Ticks quote of a few of those boxes, being stainless.... also you could get the bore lock version and switch it between multiple rifles regardless of thread sizes? 

I might be going down the same route shortly.... so if I do, and it’s any good. I’ll let you know. 

Wildcat might be another option, doesn’t have the corrosion resistance, but truely modular. Swapping out to calibre baffle stacks, chosing length of tube and then different thread bridges for all rifles. With the mod being cheaper than others, not being stainless or titanium but you could replace the parts as and when required. 

My mate recently traded his SL5 30 cal  for a SL7. 

The SL7 is miles ahead of the SL5  in sound reduction. It is also quieter than my dpt and my other mates wildcat evo. We all have the same rifles in 308 so it was a fair comparison.  

Run a 30 cal Utra sl7 on 260 & 308 and it’s quieter than the Lawrence titanium compact and dpt EOB (both cal specific) I’ve had on the same rifle. If you can live with the weight, they’re bomb proof.

Archived