Tears in Case necks

Long Gun

Hello all, 

Current case prep includes:

Neck resize, trim case to length, deburr inside and outside edges.

Problem I'm getting is that loads of my cases seem to be left with big gouges at the tops of the necks, quite large and deep a lot of them, giving the tops of the cases a ragged finish. 

Is it just a case of deburring all these off to level the neck of the case (would take off quite a lot of brass considering the cases have already been trimmed), or am I missing a vital stage that would alleviate this (neck turning or something) 

Brass is Lapua 6.5 creedmoor, fired about 3 times each per case. 

I'm using one of those Lee precision handheld deburring tools. The small one without a handle. You use it on the outside of the case then turn it round to do the inside. 

The marks are present from the actual firing, not the tool however. 

How many times fired is this brass and has it been annealed?  Brass shouldn't get ragged at the top of the necks from firing.  Either the brass is being ragged in the die/during trimming or has work hardened to a high degree and is brittle.

So the cases are all nice and smooth after the case prep, but after firing they are all rough ? 

Oh and yes the photo is not good, try lying them down then take the photo. If you think they look naff please think how are we supposed to see the problem as well as you can, when the picture out of focus. Trying to help here long gun

Photo isn't clear.are you 100 percent you have the correct pilot for your case.when case has been trimmed it should be smooth and shiny.not like a saw edge.if it' doing the damage on firing then you may have a build up of carbon in the chamber neck.other than that I've No I deer :wacko:

With respect Long Gun ....

phaedra1106uk asked a more than valid question: ..

What are you 'trimming' with? (not deburring)...

Don't want to sound as if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here BUT....Deburing and trimming are two totally different procedures...You do not trim with a deburring tool. If you are, change your method, and the tool, and buy a decent 'case-trimmer'

ATB

I,m with Snakeman,,,,,pretty sure the fault is with the trimming and or deburring tool ,,,,sometimes your getting a reasonable cut and others your not and snagging intermittently around the rim.A decent in line case trimmer and chamfering tool should sort this for you,,,,,,O

2 minutes ago, Long Gun said:

I trim with a case trimmer, a Lee precision one, the type that comes in two pieces. One end that goes down the case and contacts the base that the case screws into.

I deburr with a deburring tool.

With respect the two piece Lee trimmer is a piece of crap and will not cut nicely ,,,,at least not in the long term,,,,,,,O

8 minutes ago, Long Gun said:

Good replies last couple, any specific recommendations for a decent trimming tool and a better deburring tool?

Also, can the propellent have an effect? I know certain ones are harsher on barrels than others.

I use a Lyman Universal machine with a carbide cutter for trimming  and a RCBS Wilson chamfer/deburr tool,,,,looks a bit like a rocket,,,,,There are much more exotic tools/machines out there but I get the results I want from these and I,m real fussy,,,,,O,,,propellant not really an issue with this.

1 minute ago, onehole said:

I use a Lyman Universal machine with a carbide cutter for trimming  and a RCBS Wilson chamfer/deburr tool,,,,looks a bit like a rocket,,,,,There are much more exotic tools/machines out there but I get the results I want from these and I,m real fussy,,,,,O

Cheers

Archived