Testing 2 loads

No i deer

After finishing 3 x COF's with my 6.5x47 at 600yds sunday with my 139gr scenar over 39.8grs of H4350 load it was a good opportunity to test the RS 62 loads.

Load testing was from 600yds.

First up was 41grs of RS62 behind 139gr scenars.they shot in exactly the same place as my H4350 load.these were loaded to same oal as H4350 load.

Next up 41.5grs of RS62 behind 140gr amax. I gave the amax an extra 0.5grs of powder as they don't seat as deep as the scenars.

Well I'll be damned.they shot in exactly the same place aswell :D.no pressure signs etc.that saved some load development B)

I've not found them too bad.  Certainly better imho than viht N140 which I used to use.  Importantly for me anyway, when load developing with RS50 and running loads above max as part of a careful working up of initial loads, velocity measurements showed that pressure rise was more linear, at least for my rifle being tested for the comparison.  I tested at an ambient max of 25 dgrees C and later at 10 degrees.  RS50 was far less sensitive.  When using 175TMKs over 42.5N140 in 308, my loads jumped massively in velocity and pressure at the two extremes and left sticky bolt lift and ejector marks on brass at higher temps but shot fine (if a little thumpy) at lower temps with over 30fps difference....same brass, same primer, same load.  RS for a slightly stiffer load and higher velocities (it gave better velocities from the off) did not.

I've No I deer .

I got a sample off a mate too try and bingo.41grs shouldn't be hot load in the 47.

Big Al did some load development a while back and ran 42.2grs of RS62 behind a 140gr hybrid.

I am curious to see what the velocities on these loads.the H4350 load was just over 2800fps when I initially tested and chronied them.not sure on temperature when I tested them.its a 27 inch barrel. 

Checked my bal cal and it was 60f when I chronied them and 2840fps.that sounds a little fast to me but it must be right. I can remember 140gr amax load was doing in excess of 2850fps on 39grs of RS60 that I used purely as a hunting load.

Archived