204 Vermin Control

Elliott

Had a good few hours stretching the legs of the new CZ527 Varmint yesterday. 

350 & 370 yard rabbits, followed by a 490 yard crow. Chuffed to bits with the last shot. 39gr Sierra Blitz @ 3,770fps, 8mph wind. 

The 204 is fast becoming my favourite calibre and may replace the 223 altogether. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/OjyNfdYOXHsgw6Gr2

12 hours ago, Elliott said:

350 & 370 yard rabbits, followed by a 490 yard crow. Chuffed to bits with the last shot. 39gr Sierra Blitz @ 3,770fps, 8mph wind. 

The 204 is fast becoming my favourite calibre and may replace the 223 altogether. 

What range was your zero? And how much above did you aim/dial in?

55 minutes ago, Vermincinerator said:

Elliot how do you get Strelok to put a U infront of the amount of elevation and a L infront of windage mine just does + or -

Ian.

Settings (the red cogged wheel bottom left) > 8th item down "Use U/D and L/R instead of +/-

15 hours ago, Elliott said:

.204 Ruger , the calibre for winners :) 

I have struggled with my 204 to find a load it likes it's always been a love hate relationship with factory Ammo difrent batch to batch it's either  brilliant or useless!

What load are  finding is working in yours please ?

1 hour ago, Montey said:

I have struggled with my 204 to find a load it likes it's always been a love hate relationship with factory Ammo difrent batch to batch it's either  brilliant or useless!

What load are  finding is working in yours please ?

Reloading will get you there. You probably just need to play about a bit more. Factory ammo in the 204 doesn't appear to offer much variety. 

39gr Blitzkings offer the best BC, so they are the obvious place to start. I've read that some 204's struggle to stabilise 40gr bullets and over, but most will shoot the 39gr bullets. 

My current load is as follows:

39gr Blitz; Hornady brass; 25.6gr Vhit N530; CCI 400 primers; OAL: 2.248"

DSC_0040.JPG

Thanks for your reply I've got a collection of powders sitting around but no N530 so I'll have a look at accurate shooter and see what I've got on the shelf to start with it'll be Rel 10X and I've got 39g and the 32g Blitzkings as well as 40g V max just a time thing given I'm reloading a lot these days.

4 minutes ago, Foxwhistler88 said:

I love my 204 and been using it for years with sierra 39s and benchmark! Now looking for a load using the sierras and viht n133!  Wondering if anyone has any data for a load? Thanks!

This is the data I have, no 133 on there though?

5691992F-DA90-42FA-9266-AEC74896066B.png

Great shot with a 20 in that wind , what wind meter you using ? And rangefinder please ? Atb  

1 hour ago, gunner said:

Great shot with a 20 in that wind , what wind meter you using ? And rangefinder please ? Atb  

Here's the wind meter - pretty basic, but perfectly adequate: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332380306194

Rangefinder is a Hawke 1000. Not sure they make them anymore

On 30/03/2018 at 10:35 AM, thekeeper said:

Well done superb calibre had mine a while now love it 420 yds my best to date on a rabbit 

I' going to try nosler 40gr bt next see how they fair 

May you have many happy times together  atb 

39 SBK is better in most rifles.

On 31/03/2018 at 12:54 PM, Elliott said:

Reloading will get you there. You probably just need to play about a bit more. Factory ammo in the 204 doesn't appear to offer much variety. 

39gr Blitzkings offer the best BC, so they are the obvious place to start. I've read that some 204's struggle to stabilise 40gr bullets and over, but most will shoot the 39gr bullets. 

My current load is as follows:

39gr Blitz; Hornady brass; 25.6gr Vhit N530; CCI 400 primers; OAL: 2.248"

DSC_0040.JPG

Depends on the twist rate.   I think most 204s are built for 32s - 40 gr bullets,  hence have a 1 in 11 or slower twist.     I have a 1 in 9 throated for Berger 50s which it shoots in the .2s when I do my bit.   39gr SBKs shoot at about .4 in it but do hold together,  I have had 40 gr VMax break up at about 3800 under test.    I run things at around 3500 as there is a nice accuracy node there,  nice and smooth in a heavy rifle, see the impact even without a mod.      Cal is 20BR,  N150 is the powder of choice.

Nipped out again this evening while the weather was nice. Very still air and blue skies.

First shot on a clean barrel and managed to to dump this Rook at 505 yards.

Safe to say the T3 Varmint 223 is definitely going to get sold. The 204 is fast, flat, has zero recoil and is deadly accurate.

collage-1522955352052.jpg

Superb -

its the shots that we live for and don't forget in a hurry , that group in the pictures above , are they 5 shots or 3 ? Atb 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Vermincinerator said:

A Four shot group is a group where the shooter has shot a superb 3 shot group then decides to really test his marksmanship with a 5 shot group but chickens out after the fourth shot ;):D:D

Ian. 

Or a tight reloader, not wanting to waste his ammo like in my case :) Here's the full target. 

DSC_0041.JPG

Archived