Sako vs Tikka

sam39

OK chaps what do you think........ in 223. anyone had experience of using or handling both these rifles?  

Sako 85 varmint laminated stainless fluted VS Tikka t3 super varmint 

Any information would be much appreciated.

I have both of these Rifles, the Sako in .243 and Tikka T3 Supervarmint in .22.250

The Sako has a nice Laminate stock Set trigger as standard fluted Barrel, imho

though the mounting system for Fitting a Scope is limited , because you need the optiloc bases then ring of a suitable height and size, if you want to fit a rail then it adds height to whatever NV you fit.  Cost me £1460 brand new

The Tikka T3 Supervarmint is in a synthetic stock, the action is very smooth and it’s fitted with a Picatinny rail as standard.

general finish is very good, I ordered mine with the Stetcher set trigger from factory and by the time I have added everything up it was about £65 cheaper than the Sako, the other thing that really niggled me was the plastic magazine, several times when I was out on a cold night I had a couple of mis feeds  and rounds jamming in the magazine, I think this is an isolated issue because others I have spoken to said theirs were Ok, however I changed my stock to a GRS Varmint laminate stock and a tier one bottom metal using AICS .308 magazines

Accuarcy wise you can’t split them, they are both very good  0.5 moa for both.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Kevgun

Sam

If you want a 223 that looks nice and shoots nice then choose the Sako. However, if you want a rifle that doesn't feel as nice but still shoots as nice, then choose Tikka 

I have a T3x Super Varmint in .308. No faults here in any way. It's probably one of those stocks that 'does-what-it-says-on-tin'.. The advantage for me with it, is having the picatinny rail. I have always found the Tikka as having a somewhat short stock, so the benefit of having the rail compensates for the shortfall I might encounter regarding scope mounting issues (eye-relief)

Plenty of both these rifles on the shelves - try for size before you buy

Good luck with your choice and enjoy

ATB

The only issues I’ve got with the Tikka’s is the length of the action (long!) and the plastic mags wearing at the lips causing misfeeds. The tikka recoil lug is superior to the sako.

I’ve got the Sako, and I’m very happy with it. 

Also consider the CZ’s, they’re not as ‘polished’ but the mini Mauser action is very good. 

The Sako is a finished rifle with very few aftermarket bit's available. The T3 can be purchased in the cheapest simplest version and then over time bit's can be added turning the rifle into something a Sako 85 could not achieve... at least not without great difficulty.

for me T3 at least I can make it mine, 85 is a compromise.... somebody else's compromise.

edi

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. With your thoughts and observations . It’s great to have detailed feed back and all points are of great value.

Sam

One more point, the Sako double stack mag allows you to fill it up in situ, where as you have to drop the tikka mag out to fill it.

This can be a valid point.  When I am night shooting it gets annoying when you have to keep on dropping the mag out to top it up.  Also the flush fitting 5 shot mag on the Sako is one less thing to catch on other things

4 hours ago, oak tree said:

One more point, the Sako double stack mag allows you

to fill it up in situ, where as you have to drop the tikka mag out to fill it.

This can be a valid point.  When I am night shooting it gets annoying when you have to keep on dropping the mag out to top it up.  Also the flush fitting 5 shot mag on the Sako is one less thing to catch on other things

Would you just not get a 2nd mag? I think I would want a spare/back up mag regardless! The flush fitting is a good point and would be of preference. 

You still have to drop the mag out.  Say, if you shoot a couple or 3 then you just open the bolt and top up the mag and you are ready for the next lot.  I always have the bolt open when in the pickup, when a chance of a shot is seen then the rifle is pointed safely in that direction and a round is chambered, sometimes a shot is not fired so the bolt is opened and the unfired round is placed back in through the ejection port.  This can be done just with a couple of fingers touching the cartridge as it starts to come out.  So easy and fast.  Annoying when the round has to be caught, held, mag dropped out, round placed back in then mag placed back in

1 hour ago, oak tree said:

You still have to drop the mag out.  Say, if you shoot a couple or 3 then you just open the bolt and top up the mag and you are ready for the next lot.  I always have the bolt open when in the pickup, when a chance of a shot is seen then the rifle is pointed safely in that direction and a round is chambered, sometimes a shot is not fired so the bolt is opened and the unfired round is placed back in through the ejection port.  This can be done just with a couple of fingers touching the cartridge as it starts to come out.  So easy and fast.  Annoying when the round has to be caught, held, mag dropped out, round placed back in then mag placed back in

Im thinking dropping the mag might be the way to go.

Some top feeds like that are not easy and fast......... I have one!, with the scope tube in the way it can be a bit difficult to get your fingers in the right place   bit of "buck /fox fever" if you do not get the bullet in exactly the correct place it jams. I think made worse with a full size action that is too big for the 223 round.

Sam

You could always purchase a 3rd mag for the Tikka, which sits pretty much flush; or as close to the stock so as not to cause a hindrance.

10ys out in the field and never had a problem with x 2.. 3rd mags......sometimes the problem you imagine, doesn't exist 

Also, I have never in all that time, ever been in a situation where it was called for a rapid mag change. Shoot once, and cycle another round 'if needed' = 1 left in the mag....Believe me, when out in the field, particularly if on fox control, those fox are long gone by the time you look to fire the third round...

You'd be quids in, buying a Tikka if you're using it for the field...In my experience I have seen folk with their 'expensive kit' (whatever rifle that might be) decline to enter situations where a fox could be culled, because their stock could get scratched, or dirty...or...you get my drift....IMHO the Tikka, economically speaking, is a far more prudent purchase

ATB

I have had the tikka in my hands It seemed to be a practical working bit of kit. I thought the stock would be poor but liked it. 

Can you get a mag conversion so you can also top load ? Any one know the cost?

7 minutes ago, snakeman said:

Sam

No idea and never heard of one - ask a Smith but you're hardly gonna need one unless of course there's a regiment of fox on the drill-yard :wacko: 

Fair point

Wildcat Evolution, for me......light, durable, doesn't over-balance the rifle, easy to clean, decreases the blast effectively enough...it's as good as anything else out there in its price-bracket. (£200).... Fox still hears it though.... but then again, there's not a lot that a fox won't hear......I sometimes wonder about the effectiveness of any make of mod out on the fields on a quiet night and, if they are really necessary out in the field? I suppose different circumstances dictate for different people on that one....

Yes, they do lower the decibels a tad, and assist in minimizing unwanted recoil but, my question has always been "are they really THAT effective on a centrefire rifle"? ...I've heard a good few different makes of mods and had three different types previously.....Fox heard every one of them....(and knew which direction the shot came from)....Savvy fox in Wales  ;)

2 hours ago, snakeman said:

Wildcat Evolution, for me......light, durable, doesn't over-balance the rifle, easy to clean, decreases the blast effectively enough...it's as good as anything else out there in its price-bracket. (£200).... Fox still hears it though.... but then again, there's not a lot that a fox won't hear......I sometimes wonder about the effectiveness of any make of mod out on the fields on a quiet night and, if they are really necessary out in the field? I suppose different circumstances dictate for different people on that one....

Yes, they do lower the decibels a tad, and assist in minimizing unwanted recoil but, my question has always been "are they really THAT effective on a centrefire rifle"? ...I've heard a good few different makes of mods and had three different types previously.....Fox heard every one of them....(and knew which direction the shot came from)....Savvy fox in Wales  ;)

Thanks very much I will look at one of those

I think it depends on your circumstances but in most cases a mod is surely a must. Why would you want to draw un wanted attention to yourself, it improves accuracy, saves your ear drums and when on Scottish roe unlike a fox they often do not bolt after 1 shot. in my opinion it makes the rifle a joy to shoot. best money you will ever spend! 

14 hours ago, sam39 said:

Thanks very much I will look at one of those

I think it depends on your circumstances but in most cases a mod is surely a must. Why would you want to draw un wanted attention to yourself, it improves accuracy, saves your ear drums and when on Scottish roe unlike a fox they often do not bolt after 1 shot. in my opinion it makes the rifle a joy to shoot. best money you will ever spend! 

Sam

Be it the Sako or the Tikka, whether you're using a mod or not, on either of these rifles I will be very surprised if a mod improves the inherent accuracy of the actual rifle. There are far too many other factors to consider. The rifles in themselves have the potential to deliver exceptional accuracy, which in turn will be far more consistent than the nut behind the butt. The 'improved' accuracy more than likely emerges through reduced recoil the mod affords, and not because of being in itself a supplemental add-on, or have differing/superior manufacturing design that dictate the accuracy of the rifle. At that end, it's about developing the skills that assists in reducing recoil rather than the claimed supplemental add-on (mod) that 'improves' accuracy....Again, just another marketing ploy by the manufactures to spend your cash....

If you think about it, we would all be rushing to the gunshop asking the retailer: ..."I have a.223 and could I have the most accurate moderator for it, please"? .......which unfortunately does not exist

But indeed I agree 100% certain circumstances, and quarry, dictate the use of a mod.

ATB whichever you choose

Get that. I know inherent accuracy wont change it was the secondary factors you mentioned I was led to believe to help. The countryside is becoming a busy place. Especial Easter weekend! (people everywhere this morning) I like to keep the noise down if i Can. In my situation a mod is a must but as you say every situation is different.

Thank you for your points Snakman. And all who took the time to respond.

Sam

Archived