Stock choice

meles meles

Looking at the awesome rifles that appear in the Showcase forum, it has struck us that there seems to be a growing popularity for McMillan style stocks. Thumbhole stocks, once very popular, now seem to feature less frequently. We're wondering what sort of factors influence the style of stock used on a rifle, particularly on some of these high quality custom rifles where, presumably, cost is less of a consideration? Clearly the potential use will be high amongst those factors: a stock to be used on a lightweight stalking rifle will be quite different from one to be used on a prone, long range target shooting rifle, but what other factors come into play ?  We have quite a selection of rifles and find some stocks just feel right though it is hard to explain why. For example, we have an AICS folding thumbhole stock on our long range target rifle and find it very comfortable but also consider our CG63 rifle with its wooden stock, used for the same 1000 yard shooting, to be equally good in terms of ergonomics despite looking very different. 

CG_69_competition_rifle.jpg

I am intrigued who are the "us" in your posts. Are you a company or some other form of business.

Just asking so I can understand your posts we seem to have a group or something similar about them.

With respect

eddieb

3 minutes ago, eddieb said:

I am intrigued who are the "us" in your posts. Are you a company or some other form of business.

Just asking so I can understand your posts we seem to have a group or something similar about them.

With respect

eddieb

Eddie, it's best to try not understand.....

It's the Royal 'We'.

(.......or maybe something to do with badgers living in family groups in setts - leads to plural group-think  :) )

I can never work out which stocks are going to suit me or not until I shoot the things a few times. I hate to be asked for advice as shooter to stock compatibility seems to be such a personal matter. Ideally the rifle fits and set-up on the bench / prone firing point / offhand etc should be such that a good consistent hold and stance come naturally so you only think about the aim, reading wind flags, squeezing the trigger etc.

FWIW, my favourite trio for prone shooting after years of trying lots of things are:

Joe West long-forend F-Class stock (early model, not thumbhole). I'm not alone in rating this design as 5 stars as other owners I've met give it have similar views.

McMillan A5 that came on a factory FN Special Police Rifle

Mik Mak's Dolphin modular stocks (now have three rifles in them). Again, I'm not alone in this view, lots of fans around, but equally some people don't get on with them.

Worst? The Enfield No.4 rifle.

I think that this is a very personal thing as what's right for one person may not be for another.

Personally, I like the McMillan adjustable A5 stock, the new Tikka TAC A1 adjustable stock (which like some other "blackticool" stocks shares some similarities with the Dolphin modular one that Laurie mentions) and the GRS Decima Sporter which is a design that seems to provoke a marmite response.  For those, like me, who have larg-ish hands, I find the latter exceptionally comfortable and natural, almost a perfect fit as long as I remember to extend the butt section and lift the cheek piece a notch.

The thing that I have against some thumb-hole stocks, including my own, is that rarely do I find one which is high enough in the cheek weld.  Mine is a Boyds design, suspiciously (almost) exactly like the new Savage 17 Target thumbhole stock.  I prefer the Alan Rhone type target thumbhole stock as used on the Lynx target rifles, sadly not available for my actions.

The main thing for me is that a stock mustn't draw attention to itself once in the shooting position, it should feel completely natural and fit properly allowing minimal contact except for the trigger finger and shoulder.

I ditched wood stocks to help save trees,  over the years I have had a few different ones, but I've now settled on 2 nice ones made by XLR ( envy & element ) and love them both equally..

We like our wooden CG63, it feels so comfortable, and it appears to have similar form to the McMillan stocks with quite a vertical pistol grip and a naturally high cheek piece. We'd agree on the Dolphin stocks too, having tried one or two in F class rifles they do seem rather good.

We've been looking at PSE stocks too, those also look nice and so maybe we should try one sometime and see how the ergonomics are...

this depends on alot of factors , shooting type qurray , what kind of shot will be needing , for foxing i prefer a thunbhole heavy setuo , but for for a walkabout gun lighter the better ut all must have an adjustable check peice, Like anything you get the tool for the job .

Archived