Sightron SIII 6-24x50 SFP / FFP / Mil-Hash / MOA for long range .223..?

clover

I have a .223 Tikka T3X Varmint on order that I plan to use for targets out to maybe 600yds.

I'm reaching the conclusion that the Sightron SIII 3.5-10x44 I'd got earmarked for the project will struggle if I want to push the range out and was looking at the 6-24x50 SIII offerings.

I'd prefer Mil-based scopes (turrets and ret) and like the look of the first focal plane LR scope with the mil hash ret.. however I'm a bit put off by the more coarse adjustment on the metric scopes  (0.1mRad / click is 10mm at 100M, while 1/4MOA is around 7.25mm at 100M) as well as the thickness of the ret in places (the centre dot is 0.73mRad in diameter so around 7.3mm at 100M while the crosshair thickness is 0.04mRad so 4mm at 100M). The MOA-based ret is thinner / finer in this regard (centre dot is about the same size but the crosshair thickness is 0.1MOA so around 2.9mm at 100M).

I've looked at the second focal plane scopes (which are a fair bit cheaper) but am not really keen on any of their reticle offerings tbh. I'd be interested to hear anyone's thoughts an experiences on these scopes please, along with any general thoughts on the MOA v mRad argument (sorry if this has been done to death!). I much prefer the simplicity of the metric system, however the MOA setup potentially seems a little more precise.

22 hours ago, 20series said:

I'd look at the Sightron 8-32x56 with LRMOA reticle. 1/8 MOA clicks.

Alan

Thanks for the suggestion Alan. I did consider this model and while I like the 1/8 clicks I'd also like to use the scope for practical, soI think the 8x minimum mag might be a bit limiting, plus I'm looking to keep mass and mounting height to a minimum. Appreciate the thought though!

1 hour ago, clover said:

Thanks for the suggestion Alan. I did consider this model and while I like the 1/8 clicks I'd also like to use the scope for practical, soI think the 8x minimum mag might be a bit limiting, plus I'm looking to keep mass and mounting height to a minimum. Appreciate the thought though!

Ok no worries ??good luck with the search

Alan

If i was you and you like the idear of mil/mil maby give that a go.

You say shooting out to 600 so the difference in adjustment between 1/4 moa and mil at 600 would be 16.5mm which is a very minor . 

Atb 

Sam

Thanks Sam.. I much prefer the Mil-based setup in principal, just still struggling to get my head around the more coarse adjustments.. I'm maybe coming round to the idea a little though.

Usually a good research binge on the internet is enough to sway me one way or the other; however most of the SIII reviews are American and they unsurprisingly seem to tend towards the traditional imperial / MOA-based setup so there's not a lot of information on the mil-based equivalent.

I have been looking into this for about 6 month now.  I have my 223 with 1in8 twist heavy 24" barrel and I plan on doing targets out to 800 (Just for fun ) and long range rabbit and crow work 200-400 yards. Bullet selection is 69gr smk. As for the scope In my head metric calculation work quicker and easier. I have bought a delta Stryker 4.5-30x56 FFP it is very capable of out to 1000+ meters. It has 0.01mill clicks of adjustment that will give you 1cm at 100m and 10cm at 1000m and has a total of 30mill of elevation so no need for 20 moa rail etc. I had been looking at them for some time and got the chance to look through one at the shooting show as soon as I raised it to my eye that was it unbelivavble glass. Have you heard of ritchard utting? I like his honest reviews on stuff he reviews the product not the name on the side. Here is a link the delta Stryker starts at 22 mns. 

Archived