AI muzzle break (mod compatible)

Hobbit

Hi

Do people remove their muzzle breaks when putting their guns in the safe??

I have always done so with my TRG and 22 for based, initially at least, on my cleaning routine and storage space restriction.  I remove mods given that I have heard that they can ruin crowns with residue and water causing corrosion. I  have now read that a muzzle break can do similar - not an issue so far but I have just got an AI AXMC and first time out (or back in) left the muzzle break on to avoid mucking about too much with it AND the mod.

Logic tells me this is not the way to go and its coming off - just wanted to see what people do

Cheers

I use the most excellent Area419 self timing breaks on my rifle.

http://www.area419.com/product/sidewinder/

i always remove & flush the break with carb cleaner (to remove carbon buildup) and also gently wipe down the crown.

i do however leave the break/moddy off...just gives the parts to fully dry. I wipe a minute dab of EP grease to the threads before reinstalling.

In all, a 20second process for peace of mind.

On the point about corroding the crown, it's due to the salts in the primer/powder residue hydroscopically atrrcting mosture to the steel, which then begins the corrosive process. 

Removing the carbon helps to prevent this.

I'm just working on a batch of rifles that haven't had the brakes off in 18 years.

No crown damage.

That doesn't mean , abuse is best however.

If taking the brake off and cleaning it, and the threads, muzzle face, helps you sleep better, then you should do it.

An AI is a hefty investment, no reason at all, to not look after it.:)

To Catch's post - what is a self timed brake??

On the TRG i just screw on until vertical (using the mirage band nib as a guide) and tighten up with the screw

how important is the repeatability of doing this?

With my AXMC if I screw the break on until it stops turning the openings on the side are not horizontal.  I have to back it up a little and then tighten the screw.  Is that how it should be? 

Edit

Just looking at the manuals after I posted this.  The AXMC manual does not mention this but the AT308 does, say to back it off and tighten the screw.

10 hours ago, Hobbit said:

To Catch's post - what is a self timed brake??

On the TRG i just screw on until vertical (using the mirage band nib as a guide) and tighten up with the screw

how important is the repeatability of doing this?

Your break would have already been 'timed' to your barrel, meaning when the threads were cut it was done so to ensure the break screws on to the desired depth & the ports line up properly. 

Some breaks need additional crush washers to allow you to self time it, placing them between the shoulder of the barrel and back face of the break. You screw the break down and use x number of washers to ensure the ports are facing the correct direction.

With the Area419 breaks, there's no washer needed. There's an adapter that screws onto the barrel. Then the break screws to the adapter. The adapter has a 7 degree taper which acts as a locking mechanism between adapter and break. Line the break up using the markers, push break into tapered adapter and tighten the collar on the break to ensure it's nice & snug. 

Apparently its very repeatable and doesn't require a gun smith to time your threads to fit the break.

10 hours ago, Hobbit said:

That is far too simplistic 

This is about the brake, crown and atmosphere interface and, as such, is worthy of the usual overblown pontificating :lol:

Indeed, but I was simply talking about the spelling....:lol:

Fair one - I seem to be back and forward on break/brake

Obviously if it knakers your rifle you could call it a break! .... :D

no?........   :(

....I'll get my coat, I have let myself down badly there - after a period of self reflection I hope you all permit me to return 

Archived