Powder for 69gr TMK

Andy RV

Gents, 

Can you recommend a suitable REACH compliant powder for 69gr TMK's out of my 1-8" Sako .223? 

I've found an accurate load with RS50 at 24.5gr but velocity is quite low at 780 m/s. I need a propellant with a higher energy content and faster burn, RS40 looks like a good candidate?.. 

Andy

I use RS50 for the 69 TMK with decent results.  You say velocities are low...I'm getting close on 2900fps without any pressure signs....2560fps seems quite low!  I was using 23.6gr N140 prior to this for 2830fps.  Max recommended load in a 69 (hpbt) is 25.6gr RS50 according to RS load data and I've so far found their quoted velocities quite low compared with what I actually get from my barrel.

Yes 2560 f/s is quite leisurely!

I've just read your thread on 69gr TMK, interesting... My 20" barrel won't help but I did expect a higher result. The pressure for the highest RS50 load is low at 3250 bar meaning case capacity runs out before high pressures are encountered. In my experience with 5.56mm NATO using Nitrochemie (RS) & PB Clermont (Ram Shot) propellants with 62gr bullets 3600 - 3700 bar is normal at ambient temperature. 

I'll get a bottle of RS40 sometime soon and see what that gives me. 

You may be losing over 100 fps compared with my results as they were with a 26 inch barrel.  I see that they list RS40 as suitable for everything up to 77gr bullets, and you may get better results with the higher energy powder with a shorter barrel.  That or the double base RS52?  Viht N140 works very well too with the 69gr bullet weight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/03/2018 at 3:34 PM, Andy RV said:

Gents, 

Can you recommend a suitable REACH compliant powder for 69gr TMK's out of my 1-8" Sako .223? 

I've found an accurate load with RS50 at 24.5gr but velocity is quite low at 780 m/s. I need a propellant with a higher energy content and faster burn, RS40 looks like a good candidate?.. 

Andy

I use rs52 with good effect. 

• 10 months later...

Archived