Classic British 7.62 / .308 Rifles

Hello All,

My tastes have veered toward British Rifles in recent months, and am currently looking to acquire a 7.62/.308 for target and hunting.

The rifle would almost certainly end up scoped and possibly supressed.

I do like the Enfield actioned Target Rifles, with the main choices being the Parker Hale T4 and the L39 / Envoy type.

A brief conversation with someone in Fulton’s yesterday suggested that the PH T4 was the less accurate rifle in comparison to the L39 / Envoy type - this surprised me but there you go!

Equally the PH TX1200s seem to be superb shooters, unless I’ve only seen reports of the good ones.

Thoughts please!

For what it was (an old rifle) with over 10,000 rounds down the tube after I finished with it, the TX1200 in 7.62cal I owned was my very first 7.62 rifle. That rifle cost me £50 quid and in return provided me tenfold the fun

If those types or rifle are your passion and you can get one with a decent bore, a TX1200 will very much serve you well. Whether mine was a "superb shooter" I don't know but, it was damn accurate when I found the load it liked.

I disposed of that rifle only because I wished for something shinier but, it was still shooting 0.5moa at 100yds with 5rd groups, even after 10,000+ rounds through it - amazing really......I look back on that old TX1200 with sincere affection... (wonder where it is now?) 

ATB

Thanks for the information - not sure whether the barrels are exceptionally good, or the action, chambering and trigger quality is all round superb.

Thanks for the replies guys, so what would be the safest bet?

TX1200 or an Enfield Actioned Envoy / T4?

Do love the Enfield action but feel the TX1200 action may be a better all rounder. 

"safest bet" would be whichever you choose get the bore checked with a good Smith & borescope before you commit...

Tip: should you opt for the TX and if it still has the full set of target sights........

I got a rail from EGW. The tricky part was the screws that came with the rail were all the same size and were too small for the two rear holes on the receiver; therefore, the rear two screws of the original target sights have to be used to secure the two rear holes of the rail to the receiver. The two rear holes on the rail had to be re-bored and countersunk to accept the original target sight screws which were a larger size thread. The two front screws was no problem and fit perfect - an easy fix for a competent person.... Then, what was the surplus EGW screws will fit the holes left behind from when the front sight is removed, and will neatly fit the holes as blanking screws

So, in a nutshell - the two rear holes on the TX receiver are a larger diameter thread than the screws EGW include with the rail.

Do the maths: cost of rail inc p/p from Pennsylvania was more than I paid for the rifle! ....but well worth the extra expense  

http://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings/mauser-98-large-ring-picatinny-rail-scope-mount-0-moa-commercial/

ATB

I have owned both the T4 and the TX1200, also spent a fair amount of time using the Enfield Enforcer.

Both the PH rifles were late models in as-new condition. Fulton's modified the T4 to feed from a 7.62X51mm mag - it came as a single shot with .303 British mag which they told me was standard on late models. I added a Fulton's picatinny rail to the T4 which worked very well.

T4 was about £350 with target sights, 1200 was £200 with 1" inch PH rings and bases. Both bought in the past ten years. I traded the T4 sights for about £200 worth of kit.

Both of them were/are superb. Accurate, reliable, robust, etc. The T4 was slightly quicker to cycle and held 10rnds rather than 5rnds, but was marginally less accurate than the 1200. I do prefer the Mauser 98 style action of the 1200.

The Enforcer was very similar to the T4. They are very valuable now and cost thousands for a decent example. Wonderful rifle, but I wouldn't personally fire a completely original example much due to its value. A real highlight of a rifle collection, but not worth the extra as a shooter.

Parker Hale also did the M80 series of rifles, like the M84, M85, etc. Suppose to be an improved Mauser action, I think. Some are again very valuable, primarily the M85, but you can get a decent price on the single shot match rifle versions. Worth looking at.

But, yeah, short answer is, highly recommend. Punch well above their price in the case of TX1200, T4. If you buy one and need PH original mounts, I have spare 26mm and 25mm sets for less than a dealer will charge.

Archived