Rabbits and .22

Montey

It's been full on with the foxs and corvids this time of year and a big part of this is gathering fresh bait I'm shooting between 5 and 10 rabbits a night which until tonight has proven to be easy using my .22 Sako Finfire with Drone Pro.How ever tonight I found I was missing a lot then I relized Ide started a new box of Winchester 42g and some rounds were really loud! I.e. Fast Now many of us expect this from a box of CCI but not Winchester has any one else had the same problem? I changed to a box of 40g and was back on aim.

good morning,i use eley and winchester and have recently bought some of each and i have found that they are both inaccurate in my cz 452 and that as you have said they are different weights.i have spend a long time trying to get them to shoot but have no luck so i will try and find some rws to get the accuracy back.not a good move by eley or winchester.

The last lot of Eley I bought I experienced about 10% going 'phut' instead of 'bang' and only making it about 25 yards from the muzzle, took the unopened boxes back. I gave half a dozen part boxes of different 22LR inc the last number of Eley (completely forgot about my experience with them as it was nearly a year ago) to a friend to see what his new (to him) 452 preferred. The 3rd Eley round went 'phut' and clearly didnt make it out of the barrel :( Rather fortunately it was sat at the back of the moderator when he took it off and just fell out when up ended.

RWS and CCI are by far the best through my Anschutz, like to try SK but seem a bit non-existent round here. 40gr Wins were also good but the 42gr I gave up on quickly. Only thing with RWS is they seem really gunky compared to other 22LR ammo.

I've had this conversation recently with (unnamed manufacturer) direct after suffering really poor performance on their new Subs.  This is after the intemperate quality of .17HMR ammunition - with quality issues still going on four years later to be brutally honest and I sold my rifle as I lost trust in it.

It was only when the issue was highlighted in Gun Trade News that changes happened.

If quality issues arise with car tyres, brakes or airbags, then there is a recall.  To be told "we don't know" what batches are affected is negligent to say the least.  I really don't know why we accept this ??  

On 3/20/2018 at 11:22 PM, Montey said:

It's been full on with the foxs and corvids this time of year and a big part of this is gathering fresh bait I'm shooting between 5 and 10 rabbits a night which until tonight has proven to be easy using my .22 Sako Finfire with Drone Pro.How ever tonight I found I was missing a lot then I relized Ide started a new box of Winchester 42g and some rounds were really loud! I.e. Fast Now many of us expect this from a box of CCI but not Winchester has any one else had the same problem? I changed to a box of 40g and was back on aim.

Your post shows i'm not mixing ammo by mistake. I too have been having regular high velocity Winchester 42 grain subs. I hear a loud crack and know the shot would be high and a miss..... I generally empty a couple of boxes into a camera type case on my belt. I thought i'd made a mistake and dropped a few HV rounds in the bag, despite being sure i hadn't.... Obviously a QC problem. Which is a shame as they were very accurate in my old CZ 452....

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I started on Eley subs but had the opportunity to buy a few hundred Winchesters cheap (I was in the US). The latter seem a bit wayward and louder than the Eleys.

I may experiment with EWS or SKs but won't be buying any more Winchester.

I've had the same problems with the odd 42 grain Winchester subs. I thought it was me hearing things! While checking my zero a while back, the first 3 were bang on at 50 yards, but the 4th was a lot louder, and hit on target, but an inch higher than the rest, which says a lot. I won't stop using them though as they hit very hard and the bullet deforms very well giving clean kills. 

Archived